The Cosmic Puppet's Universe.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Cosmic Puppet

Re: The Cosmic Puppet's Universe.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:27 am That's as close as id like to get :lol: :hide: all that water and steel.. Yeah nahhh :lol:
:lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
Cosmic Puppet

Electrons.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Watching Electroboom talk about how electrons move has made me think. What do electrons look like travelling along a copper trace?
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrons.

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:50 am Watching Electroboom talk about how electrons move has made me think. What do electrons look like travelling along a copper trace?
I'm rusty myself, but I don't think they move, I think when you apply voltage, it gives them energy and they spin creating their own magnetic field which effects the one next to it, and so on.

That video and the relating ones kinda lost me. Electroboom seems to be talking about skin effect where current "travels" along the outside of the wire. But that's with high frequency when you get above about 20khz, not DC. High frequency causes eddy currents internally in the wire which appose the current flow in the opposite direction which is why copper tubes are less resistance than solid wire at high frequency.

I forget what the original experiment was doing. I get he's got a massive loop of wire and it should take 1 second for the lamp to turn on. But can't remember what the supposed outcome was. I think the theory was it would take 1 second for the light to turn on as the electrons "move" at the speed of light. I think speed of light is just another way of saying "bloody fast" :lol:

Granted I've just woken up, but electrobooms original explanation seems to make sense to me. When the switch if closed, there would been a 1 second delay before then lamp sees any current, BUT its got massive inductance due to the length of the wire, it will oppose the current flow and there won't be any voltage for maybe several seconds.it would probably slowly light up but maybe not to full brightness due to resistance of the wire.. But a wire that long the resistance would be so high that the lamp would never see any voltage.

The arguments about does current flow in the electrons inside the wire or the field outside the wire is interesting. But I think its both. Electrons create magnetic fields which are inside and outside the wire. So I don't think they should be having that argument of internal or external flow. They don't actually flow anyway. Electrons "created" at the power station will never reach your house. The affect happens at the speed of light, but they don't move. If they did move, it would imply they are being used and need to be replenished at the source, but isn't it true energy cannot be created or destroyed ? So if they did move, it would violate that law.

So my understanding is that current will "flow" assuming there wire is long enough that it takes 1 second for current to reach the lamp. But it would take a lot longer before the lamp would actually start to light up. This is assuming the wire has zero resistance.

Also when you turn off the switch you will get struck by lightning and die :lol: IIRC Tesla was interested when high voltage DC started to flow from the powersation as sparks would jump from the wires at turn on. I never found a explanation to that. Assume because it takes time for electrons to act on the ones next to it, even at the speed of light, there would be a huge build up on energy at one end of the wire and cause a lightning bolt.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

I guess I wanna see a real-time microscopic video. :lol:

I just read that the 'size' of an electron is unknown but it has mass. that's just wild. :lol:

Now I'm thinking about Dust Mites being electrocuted lol
PeckPeekPoke

Re: Printing from Notator in 2022

Post by PeckPeekPoke »

Thank you for the video, and sharing a peek into your studio. I've got a couple of printers here to try, we'll see what happens.

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:38 pm Just did a quick video since @PeckPeekPoke asked about printing...

FOR GREAT JUSTICE. TAKE OUT EVERY ZIG
800xl+U1mb, STfm, STe, 030
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Kinda like showing things working. :lol:

Thing to not is the LC-10 printer driver doesn't work on my LC-10 colour. It looks awful. The Epson FX-85 driver works. I'm sure I read somewhere that that's a good all rounder.
Cosmic Puppet

Creating an IMG of my SD card backup.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Steve

Re: Creating an IMG of my SD card backup.

Post by Steve »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:14 pm
You've got it the wrong way around. The idea is that you get your SD card all fully functioning, fully partitioned, fully occupied and working in your Atari - and then - you put the SD into your Windows/Linux machine, make a full disk image backup. Then every time you write that image back to the SD, from windows, all your Atari partitions and files stay intact (when you put it back in your Atari) But you may want to use Paragon instead of Win32, as Paragon definitely says it can backup entire disks, not just partitions: https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/#
Cosmic Puppet

Re: Creating an IMG of my SD card backup.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Steve wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:31 pm You've got it the wrong way around. The idea is that you get your SD card all fully functioning, fully partitioned, fully occupied and working in your Atari - and then - you put the SD into your Windows/Linux machine, make a full disk image backup. Then every time you write that image back to the SD, from windows, all your Atari partitions and files stay intact (when you put it back in your Atari) But you may want to use Paragon instead of Win32, as Paragon definitely says it can backup entire disks, not just partitions: https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/#
Thanks Steve. Downloading that now. 8-)
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_N_DfXjYaRE

It's just bustin' my head so I'll leave it. :lol:

I need something that would take the formatted SD card and all it's partitions and allow me to save as an IMG file which could then be written to a blank SD using win32 disk manager.

It's obviously too complicated for me.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”