STFM Keyboard Remake

All information relating to the Alpha plus all the WIP threads etc.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

STFM Keyboard Remake

Post by Icky »

I have started another project, not that I have enough of them https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =18&t=1718

Whilst working on the STFM Case Remake project https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 160#p24148, Exxos and I had the thought when we saw this picture. "Mega ST Keyboard" :)

IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 8261 times

With the STF Remake board and STFM Case Remake both in-flight after looking at this it seemed fitting that we needed a ST Keyboard Remake to compliment the efforts.

I have been making a few enquires with key cap manufacturers that have similar sets to the ST keyboard and are able to produce custom key caps. This is a requirement as the function keys are not standard and would require manufacturing. Most of these keysets work with the Cherry MX switches so there will be a need for a new board and frame to house these keys.

This is not going to be a quick project so I will update as and when I get any progress.
stephen_usher

Re: STFM Keyboard Remake

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmmmm... <self-interest-mode>What about a MegaSTE/TT keyboard remake instead?</self-interest-mode> ;-)

Hehe
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:21 am Hmmmm... <self-interest-mode>What about a MegaSTE/TT keyboard remake instead?</self-interest-mode> ;-)

Hehe
That's what I suggested too Stephen. Just a case of making up the adaptor and editing the case.

Are you volunteering? :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:21 am Hmmmm... <self-interest-mode>What about a MegaSTE/TT keyboard remake instead?</self-interest-mode> ;-)

Hehe
Nice idea :)

The way I am approaching this is more from the ground up as in the keyboard itself and not the housing yet. If we can source keycaps (which I am getting some traction on) that match the original keyset and also get the function keys manufactured we stand a chance of building a keyboard base to plug into the ST.

Of course if we have control of the PCB then there are additions that could be placed on it such as improving the LED response like the IDE mod Exxos has been looking at to flash the drive led different colours between floppy and IDE access or other add-ons etc.

If we can get the first phase off the ground to build the board that will be a great step forward. Then we can start to think about housing keyboards. The STFM Case Remake files in the keyboard area are in need of a lot of work still. An original keyboard will not fit currently and not just because of the function key angles as per the picture. Once these files are sorted out then there is a possibility to may be able to cut out a Mega ST type housing from that.

In terms of the Mega STE / TT keyboard I was having a look at my keyboard last night and the key caps are different on the keys to an STFM keyboard (more rounded) and the function keys are a completely different shape. The housing is very different and looking at it would need scanning or drawing from scratch than trying to use the STFM Remake files.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

And so it starts, first row of switches in place.

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 22.42.40.png
Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 22.42.40.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 8163 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Oh no...

:dizzy:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 am Oh no...

:dizzy:
Oh yes

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 00.19.20.png
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 00.19.20.png (57.73 KiB) Viewed 8149 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Couldn't sleep? :lol:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm Couldn't sleep? :lol:
Nope. I suppose I could of tried to count keys :)

Have been finding a few things out about the ST Keyboard circuit. Like there is a mystical key next to the A,D and Z key on the schematic.
3343072926_2483ae8421_o.jpg
3343072926_2483ae8421_o.jpg (410.89 KiB) Viewed 8096 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

It's either the Any Key or the Panic button.

Return to “ALPHA DEVELOPMENT INFO”