Site Admin
Site Admin

ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by Icky »

IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg (215.19 KiB) Viewed 10081 times

As discussed in the other thread "exxos - IDE interface (untested)"
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =90#p18484

We are looking for a few BETA testers to help run these DEV boards through their paces and help us to make this a more solid product for the final version.

As mentioned by exxos we have a small number of these boards so this BETA program is limited. In addition if you have an Atmel programmer to program the ATF150xxx series, this will help with any firmware changes that may be required to debug the boards. Although we can initially send out pre-programmed chips.

We are looking for help in testing these boards out with different drivers, CF cards, SD cards and various other IDE devices. This will help us to build a list up of what works and what doesn't and improve. Another area for testing is how these cards work on a wider range of ST's and in the wild with other devices connected to these machines.

WHAT THIS DEV BOARD DOES OR DOESN'T DO
  • Its not a rocket ship. Its an development IDE board :)
  • It has a ROM socket to switch between TOS206 and TOS104
  • It currently works with later versions of HDDriver 10.xx (these are the ones we have tested)
  • It does have a pin out to use on the keyboard floppy LED to show activity
  • It works with CF adaptors, SD adaptors and old brick IDE HDD's
  • It doesn't work with some CF cards - we would like to build a list of these
  • It requires a jumper wire to the ACSI port Pin 10
  • It will require you to provide the relevant IDE cables from 40 pin to 44 pin etc

PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THE ST-IDE-ROM DEV BOARD V1 BETA TESTING
  • PaulJ
  • Forgottenmyname - now known as PhilC :)
  • guus.assmann
  • rubber_jonnie

(Post below if anyone else is interested, sorry if we missed anyone on the old thread - please do so again below if your name is not on the list)

We will update this thread shortly on the parts required, connecting the IDE cable with power and how to patch one small bug on the board (well we did say it was DEV and it was my first full-on board effort in Eagle - thanks to some guidance from exxos). What we have ascertained in the design though is that where exxos misses pull-ups on the STF Remake Alpha, I am always missing chip power lines. At least between us we cover off both those areas :D
PhilC

Re: ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by PhilC »

Please add me to the list :)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
tzok

Post by tzok »

Will this board fit into STf "silly" type board (with CPU over mouse/joystick ports)?
guus.assmann

ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by guus.assmann »

Hello,

Please put me on the list as well.

BR/
Guus Assmann
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

tzok wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm Will this board fit into STf "silly" type board (with CPU over mouse/joystick ports)?
Hi tzok - I take it you are referring to this type of motherboard https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =52&t=1623

If so then the ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board would only work if you were to construct a high enough DIL socket stack as the board covers the keyboard connector on this motherboard.

That socket stack would have to be pretty tall to allow the keyboard connector to be underneath the IDE board.

Something like this but possibly taller.

IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3617.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 10012 times

Exxos do you recognise this stack?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Not sure what's going on there... Kinda looks like wirewrap pins going to a socket.. But not sure what the middle section is doing. Assume another socket... But the socket pins would have to be soldered to the wirewrap pins, can't tell from the image if they are soldered or not but assume they must be.

Its not going to fit into any case if that is the intention. I just use 3 sockets to lift my board up... Those silly boards.. Just take off the floppy posts and stack a couple sockets...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I have spoken to Icky about this, he's going to return the spare blank boards I sent to him, so I can add them to my store... Then basically the interested people can just buy them from my store..

There will probably be 6 boards in total. I'm not doing full kits of these, what I will do is list the PCB and the programmed PLD in my store. The price will be basically "at cost" and people will have to source the other components themselves. I'm sure Icky will post a parts list of this soon *hint* ;)

I can only get the PLD's from mouser, I keep changing my mind what I want to order.. But will likely be couple of weeks before I get the chips.

Please note, this board is simply a "IDE development board" and by no means the final product. It will likely need some hacking into place etc. This is simply for people to help this project along by testing it out another machines and cards etc.. Of course, people get a extremely cheap IDE + TOS solution for their trouble. So its win-win for everyone.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I've got a few bits already for testing. Has anyone thought about CD drives etc just out of interest? As I've possibly even got one of those somewhere.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 pm I've got a few bits already for testing. Has anyone thought about CD drives etc just out of interest? As I've possibly even got one of those somewhere.
Never gave it a thought, mission for you then ;)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:00 pm
Forgottenmyname wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 pm I've got a few bits already for testing. Has anyone thought about CD drives etc just out of interest? As I've possibly even got one of those somewhere.
Never gave it a thought, mission for you then ;)
NOOOoooooo. Don't leave me in charge, itll end in tears.

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”