Suggested way to copy files to SC on PC for BBAN HDD emu

IDE, ACSI etc kits and products.
JezC

Suggested way to copy files to SC on PC for BBAN HDD emu

Post by JezC »

Hi All,

I want to try the BBAN HDD Emulator on one of my STEs with the original 8MHz CPU before I fit the 32MHz booster...and then re-test.

This would be an ideal opportunity to copy some more files onto the SD cards for it before I do so, so how are people managing this at the moment?

I have HD Driver v11 (something) available having upgraded in the last couple of years (used to use it back in the 90s all the time).

But I'm pretty sure that I've not updated the s/w on the BBAN since I got it (at CL2.0 I think), so it probably still has the ICD s/w on it.

So, just wondering if anybody has any working methods to get extra s/w onto the SD card (or use the second slot or whatever) - with either the ICD or HD Driver s/w?

If there is a guide covering this that I've missed, then feel free to point me at it!

Thanks
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggested way to copy files to SC on PC for BBAN HDD emu

Post by exxos »

Floppy is simple. But for ease HD11 and TOS/DOS with byteswap enabled will allow pc and ST to read the same SD card..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:24 pm Floppy is simple. But for ease HD11 and TOS/DOS with byteswap enabled will allow pc and ST to read the same SD card..
Ok, thanks - can I use a second SD card in the second slot while booting off the first slot still?

I'm thinking that step
(1) will be to back up the existing SD card image (or make sure I have the files to restore it)
then
(2) format it with HD Driver 11 & get that booting
then
(3) use the second card to exchange data with the PC?

I know with the Falcon I can't have the boot drive sharing files with the PC (different byte-swap) but I think I can ignore that restriction with the ST?
So the issue might be the size of the partition on the SD card (but then Windows will only show me the first partition on the SD card)?

I'm beginning to think that having some very simple how-to guides for these will be very useful, so if I can sort it out then I will try to remember to write it up for other to reference
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I don't think anyone writes guides for anything really :roll:

I assume you can use 2 cards but I only use one. You can only access 1 partition on the PC which be the C: drive.. thats about all i know. 99% of my work is with floppy anyway. So don't use hard drives much.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:48 pm I don't think anyone writes guides for anything really :roll:

I assume you can use 2 cards but I only use one. You can only access 1 partition on the PC which be the C: drive.. thats about all i know. 99% of my work is with floppy anyway. So don't use hard drives much.
I've used HDDs on (some of) my Atari's since the late 80s...and it's easier now to get CF or SD cards than floppies...

The problematic bit is getting the files from PC to Atari...I have an old laptop with a working floppy drive (but that only supports USB 1.1 on its USB ports & is fussy with larger USB drives as well) but I now also have a Greasweazle that I can use (once I have time to suss it out).

So we do have lots of solutions v=but I can see why you just stick to floppies as much as possible (a Gotek might be another options...I do have a few now but again some have the original Gotek s/w on them, one has the HxC s/w and some of the newer ones have FlashFloppy on them, so it's a case of lots of different approaches to the same problem
:headbang:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:09 pm so it's a case of lots of different approaches to the same problem
Yep, cosmosex was good but it only ever worked once. Floppys maybe slower, but if I trash one, its like 2 seconds to format, and i am away again. Hard drives are faster and can do larger files, but I end up trashing the card, or just can't be bothered to keep disconnecting and hooking it up all the time. So for me, floppies is just simpler and more long term reliable than anything else.

Maybe we can convince someone to get the Pistorm working with WiFi.. That would make life a lot easier to copy stuff about.
dad664npc

Post by dad664npc »

There are plenty of guides out there for TOS/DOS formatting and the transfer of files between PC and ATARI.

I use HDDriver v11 to make my life easier -> Windows/TOS formatted 3 partitions of 256MB/256MB/512MB
Then simply put the sd card in the PC and copy files over

There are a couple of ways to make backups/clones
1. On your PC, make a disk image of the sd card (once you have it populated with your chosen software). Then it's a simple case of writing the disk image to another sd card.
2. clone the sd card with the HDD Controller -> connect the HDDC USB to your PC and terminal software. Press ESC to show the HDC> prompt.
HDC> cpdisk sd0 sd1

The copy time depends upon your sd card speed and partition sizes. For example, if partitioned as above, then would expect around 10 minutes to copy

Now, as far as using both sd cards - there aren't any issues. If both are formatted, then all partitions will be seen at boot time. It is also valid to have one for use with TOS, and one for use with say Mint. The sd card that is bootable will become drive C:, doesn't matter what slot it is in.

These days of course, I only ever use the PiStorm with the HDDC - EMUtos works very well with it.
ATARI STfm, STe, Mega ST, TT, Falcon
Amstrad CPC464, CPC6128
PiStorm dev - https://github.com/gotaproblem/pistorm-atari
Pico HDC - https://bbansolutions.co.uk
dad664npc

Post by dad664npc »

exxos wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:15 pm
JezC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:09 pm so it's a case of lots of different approaches to the same problem
Yep, cosmosex was good but it only ever worked once. Floppys maybe slower, but if I trash one, its like 2 seconds to format, and i am away again. Hard drives are faster and can do larger files, but I end up trashing the card, or just can't be bothered to keep disconnecting and hooking it up all the time. So for me, floppies is just simpler and more long term reliable than anything else.

Maybe we can convince someone to get the Pistorm working with WiFi.. That would make life a lot easier to copy stuff about.
PiStorm already works on WiFi.
There is a way to mount a disk image for the emulator and files can be copied back and forth (between the Pi file system and Atari live) - it is experimental of course.
ATARI STfm, STe, Mega ST, TT, Falcon
Amstrad CPC464, CPC6128
PiStorm dev - https://github.com/gotaproblem/pistorm-atari
Pico HDC - https://bbansolutions.co.uk
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

As a few others have suggested, HDDRIVER or PPERAs driver allow for byteswapping so you can just move the SD cards between the ST and PC in order to transfer files.

My interpretation of the question is that you want to move files to a disk that may not have HDDRIVER installed but ICD, and you don't want to reformat.

If the BBAN (I'm not familiar with it) has 2 SD card slots then I suppose you could use one card that uses ICD, a 2nd that uses HDD driver, load both drivers and transfer files to the HDDRIVER card and use that as primary, then in the future you can just use that card in your PC and the ST.

Will it work? I don't know, that's me just thinking out loud.

I guess the other option is to image the ICD card and see if you can attach to the image in Hatari, then use a GEMDOS folder to transfer the files from PC via Hatari, then re-write the newly modified image back to the SD card.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARD DRIVES”