TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

Post by terriblefire »

After a big push over the last week to get this out here is the TF1260 Firmware Update Alpha version. Enjoy!

@arkadiusz.makarenko has kindly offered to translate the readme into Polish to prevent misunderstandings.

I will not be fixing issues over Xmas. I'm a bit burnt out this year. If this works for you great. Otherwise please rollback to your old firmware.

Rev6 and Rev4 have a chance of 94 or 100Mhz. Rev1s have not been seen above 50Mhz.

@chucky has just posted 3 videos on how do the firmware updates with different JTAG adaptors..... look there for help with that.

You will need to use the new CPUSPEED tool (bundled). The old one will not work. I've deliberately bumped the product id so it will not be found by the old tool as they are completely incompatible.

READ BELOW OR YOU WILL HAVE A BAD DAY

THIS IS PRERELEASE QUALITY FIRMWARE. READ THIS EVERYTHING HERE BEFORE USING THIS!!!

THIS FIRMWARE IS NOT TO BE SUPPLIED AS PART OF A SALE. You cannot sell a TF1260 with this particular firmware supplied.

THIS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. IT WILL PROBABLY WIPE YOUR HARD DISK. NO WARANTY OF ANY KIND WITH THIS.

The idea of this update is to give you some fun over the Xmas period and enjoy your Amiga more. If you ask a question that is answered in here I will ignore it.

Also please make sure you can flash the previous version of the firmware before proceeding. If this does not work I want you to be able to get back to where you started from!!! If you're unsure wait for a later release.

Your chipram speed may vary slightly with CPU speed. This is a consequence of moving data from 14Mhz domain into faster CPU speed. Some speeds will give faster chipram than others.

Speeds
------

You must update CPUSPEED to the latest version provided in the firmware pack. Available CPU Speeds (Note that some just dont work but reports of what does/doesnt work is appreciated. 75Mhz seems to be unfunctional at the moment)

50Mhz
58Mhz
60Mhz
62.5 Mhz
66.667Mhz (select 67 in cpuspeed)
75Mhz
78 Mhz
80Mhz
82.5 Mhz
93.75 Mhz (Select 94 in cpuspeed)
100Mhz
125Mhz ...LOL

Some of these frequencies may be disabled in future if they arent stable. Best ones to try are 67 (66.6), 94 and 100. These are the most stable.

FAQ
---

Q. What is the 6ns firmware for?
A. Its for people who have installed 6ns CPLDs vs 10ns on most boards. If you arent sure use 10ns.

Q. Which order are the CPLDs in the chain?
A. RAM first then BUS.

Q. I just get a yellow screen with this firmware.
A. Report that and just roll back to the previous revision. I'm still working on why.

Q. What is the max speed of Rev X?
A. Its a rough guess but you can expect Rev1 will not overclock much. Rev 4 LC will do 100Mhz, Rev 6 FPU will do 94 or 100Mhz depending on the CPU.

Q. What about cooling.
A. You're on our own there. Get a heatsink if you plan to run at 100Mhz.

Q. Where do I get support?
A. Speak to whoever sold you your card. They must provide support.

Q. Where to i report new issues?
A. Exxos forum under the Terriblefire section.

Fixed Issues From Beta
----------------------

1. 14Mhz Frequency switching removed. CPU+FPU always run full speed internally.
2. Chipram Performance (depending on your setup you should see either 590ns cycles or 700ns cycles. It can vary with CPU speed sometimes).
3. TF IDE now works at higher speeds.
4. 100Mhz is possible.

Known Issues
-------------

75Mhz and 80Mhz do not work. Try 67, 80, 84, 94 or 100Mhz

Tested Hardware
---------------
A1200 PAL R2B + Mask ROMS
A1200 PAL R2B + EPROMS
A1200 PAL 1D4 + Mask ROMS
ReA1200 PAL 1D4 + EPROMS
A1200 NTSC 1D1 + Mask ROMS

Stability
---------

I will always fix bugs as I find them. This particular firmware is alpha/unstable but soon we will have a stable release. Stable doesnt necessarilty mean final though and bug fixes will always happen as long as there is interest.

CREDITS
-------

Firmware development was by Stephen Leary (@terriblefire ). If you feel like making a small donation for continued FW development then paypal me at stephen@terriblefire.com. This is completely optional but it will buy me beers.

People ask me how long this took... In the 2 weeks leading up to the release of this I put in about 130 hours of effort... maybe more. This whole project has been 3-4000 hours of effort. Now just enjoy it ... thats all I ask.

This project would not be possible without...

John Hertell (@chucky ) - Not so Norwegian Solder dude. Has soldered almost 200 TF1260s and tested all the firmwares.
Erik Hemming (@erique ) - Developer of the ehide.device driver (bundled)
Jamie Craig "Madhacker" - Lots of help with high speed side of things. :)
Alen Marks (@alenppc ) - Soldering legend. Has soldered 150 TF1260s.... lots of NTSC testing.
Mark Brown (@supaduper ) - 150+ TF1260s Lots of soldering and testing.
Chris "@GadgetUK164 " - Testing and pimping of TF merch on his channel.
Arek Makarenko (@arkadiusz.makarenko) - Testing and Polish Ambassador
Go0se - (@go0se) Motherboards for testing.. lots of them

Probably other people i forgot... sorry.

Merry Christmas 2021 Amigaland
tf1260r1_2021_12_17_1742_4514ac9_alpha.zip
(87.8 KiB) Downloaded 1480 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzaJ4Ze9sGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIFmiMFizac
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
chucky

Re: TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

Post by chucky »

I have made 2 videos. the raspberrypi-howto will be slightly delayed due to technicalities.. :)

but off by one. fully normal..
Cego

Post by Cego »

Thank you Steven! It’s already Christmas!

Will try it later, I hope it’ll run stable at 66MHz (don’t need more for demos and games :) )
chucky

Post by chucky »

66 have been a stable speed for me 75-80ish is funky. and 94-100 been working fine (100 is a hit and miss on SOME rev6s)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

My working theory is that 75mhz takes longer for the pll to lock than the data sheet says. Continue to work on it
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Not going to clog this thread up but thought I will add:

My TF1260 with new firmware will hit 100mhz on the TF ehide with no problem( as Chucky says CPU dependant) and if you have some problems locking up then good tip..try another CF card as that is what I found and yes I am using a cheapo chineesium one :)

And the offer stands anyone in the UK wanting there TF updated contact me

Merry Christmas all.. especially Steve , thanks for all the awesome work fella
Cego

Post by Cego »

chucky wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:17 pm 66 have been a stable speed for me 75-80ish is funky. and 94-100 been working fine (100 is a hit and miss on SOME rev6s)
67 setting in cpuspeed will result in a freeze on my machine. So far 84 and 50 works stable (didnt go higher)
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Fantastic work Stephen! It's simply amazing =D I can run at 94Mhz with an LC and its totally stable =D
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Cego wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:20 pm
chucky wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:17 pm 66 have been a stable speed for me 75-80ish is funky. and 94-100 been working fine (100 is a hit and miss on SOME rev6s)
67 setting in cpuspeed will result in a freeze on my machine. So far 84 and 50 works stable (didnt go higher)
Throughout testing 94 was seen as the best speed
———
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

I'm getting nothing from the new firmware on my Rev 2B.
LED power stays dim.
If I revert to previous beta 2021_09_07_999 it's booting fine.

Strange this motherboard...

Return to “TF360”