TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

gsoravil

Re: TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

Post by gsoravil »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 am I cant comment on boot times. If you've added the ehide.device during your startup it might time out for 30 seconds waiting for a drive on one firmware vs the other.

In order to compare boot times fairly use this completely clean HD image.

https://wordpress.hertell.nu/files/WB31Clean.zip
Thank you TF.

I have downloaded the image and written it to a boot CompactFlash card.

I am able to reproduce the same underlying issue. The following is wildly different on OFW vs alpha, with the alpha being observably slower (same exact steps for both tests):

1. boot the image
2. open a shell
3. maximize shell window to full screen
4. Go to sys:mutools
5. MuFastRom off
6. dir (watch the window draw/scroll speed)

Admittedly, mufastrom masks / obfuscates the issue, but it is there -- at least on my hardware. I don't know if it's *worth* fixing or what causes it. More importantly I don't know how many people will care. Most critically, do you think it's worth addressing?

I think it's a potential consideration for anyone wants to keep the MMU available for non-MMULib purposes. This was my original intent.

I don't know if the underlying issue can affect any real-world software with MuFastROM on. Probably, but it would clearly be an edge case.

I don't consider this a deal breaker of any sort since most people will be completely happy running MuFastRom and may never even notice this.

Based on prior tests, bustest (with no MuFastROM) isn't picking up on the reason for this. It clearly reports worse chip and rom access speeds for OFW // better for alpha. I am at a loss to explain the cause.

I am personally happy with using MuFastRom for general use, but I am trying to give detailed feedback.

My goal here is detailed feedback. Please do with it what you wish.

Regardless of this anomaly, the card in its current state w/MuFastROM on is freaking awesome.

Greg
gsoravil

Post by gsoravil »

Also, I want to say that if fixing this anomaly would have a negative impact on something else, I'd vote that the anomaly stay.

I'm more hoping that maybe the anomaly is a helpful clue in narrowing down / figuring out any other timing-related stuff you're working on in the firmware.

Greg
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Yeah dont turn MuFastRom off. MMULib is listed as a requirement!!!!!!
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Just to let people know i found some SHRES LACED Graphics glitches. Using OS 3.2 but i dont know if its anything to do with 3.2
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:48 pm Just to let people know i found some SHRES LACED Graphics glitches. Using OS 3.2 but i dont know if its anything to do with 3.2
Actually is possible this might the issue

https://rastport.com/techblog/removing- ... y-trashes/
———
trixster

Post by trixster »

I encountered exactly this issue several years ago with my Indi aga2 / blizzard 1260 machine running a 1280x1024 workbench. I used the mentioned palette tweak to ‘fix’ this too
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Out of interest, what do these "trashes" according to the article look like?

Did you try that fix Stephen? I am wondering if this relates to the occassional glitching I saw in ScummVM when the 1200 is cold. It's rare but sometimes see garbage over a few areas of the screen. A reboot and it's usually gone. Funnily enough it appears on the part where the screen is all white too.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
8bitbubsy

Post by 8bitbubsy »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am [..] I am wondering if this relates to the occassional glitching I saw in ScummVM when the 1200 is cold. It's rare but sometimes see garbage over a few areas of the screen. A reboot and it's usually gone. Funnily enough it appears on the part where the screen is all white too.
Well, it seems like it can only happen when in specific high-bandwidth video modes. If you get it in the "normal" video modes, then something else is wrong (if I were to guess).

To quote the linked page:
"It seems that the delay is too long for display modes using 35 ns pixel time (like DblPAL, PAL SuperHighRes or Multiscan) and the chipset runs a bit unstable."
kahuna

Post by kahuna »

Hi there,

Flashed tonight the alpha version. My rev.6 runs stable at 94Mhz.
Temperature wise, 48C on the CPLDs, 52-54C on the CPU. Measured with an infrared thermometer after running several tests.
The CPLDs have heatsinks on them, half of the CPU is covered with heatsinks.

In regards to the display trashing, in my case it's behaving as it did with the beta release. I have an Indivision AGA MK3, it has a Noctua 40x10mm attached to it / Alice. The resolution is 800x600@64 colours. I see some trashing when I start my A1200 for the first time, but all goes away after a couple of minutes or so and never see it again.

In regards to cooling, has anyone managed to cover the CPU completely with heatsinks? Is there a way to fit a fan that does not make a lot of noise?
I did try a heatsink that is ridiculously short, but it didn't fit as the keyboard hits it.
In regards to fans, I've tried with a "turbine-type" one, it does fit on the edge of the A1200 motherboard, but the noise is unbearable and it doesn't blow that much air anyway.

Recommendations are welcomed!
Thanks.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The builders and I *keep* getting asked about the CPUSPEED command.

1. The CPUSPEED command is in the tftools archive with the fw.
2. I've checked 3-4 times now. The CPUSPEED command bundled is the correct one

For the avoidance of doubt the correct cpuspeed command has the md5sum

MD5 (cpuspeed) = 95c20227eccc1980f6be0e29eaa1210f

3. When launched the new CPUSPEED command will display
(C) 2019-2021 S.J.Leary

There is no way to magically put the old one in there during download .. if you dont have this you have screwed up somehow. Also none of us are interested in weird results with the old tool.
———

Return to “TF360”