A1200.NET Keycap Kickstarter Issues (Update Shipping?)

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A1200.NET Keycaps a Ponzie Scheme?

Post by terriblefire »

Aeberbach wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:42 pm I don't know but I think the first A1200.net projects (like the A1200 case) happened when Chinese factories were eager for business and the world's supply chain was not completely screwed. Early projects succeeded. Now I suspect the manufacturing partners have either outright ripped off, abandoned for more lucrative work or otherwise let down A1200.net (one guy in Singapore from what I have read). There's an unrelated C64 keycaps project that I have been following too - it might be 3 years old at this point? The difference is I regularly get long updates about why the keys received this quarter are not good enough and the factory is going to adjust something yet again.
Yes there has been a lot of bait and switch with Chinese suppliers lately. I've absolutely stopped using UTSource as they take your money and the next day say the price has changed.

That said simple honestly and good comms goes a long way.

In November 2020 i placed a webstore preorder for a Spectrum Next (~£350). Due for delivery in August this year. I enquired in September where my order was and got told to look at the kickstarter. I expressed a bit of dismay because I hadnt signed up for a kickstarter (and never will) so just asked to be emailed when there was updates.... got told no just look at the kickstarter.

Anyways today I basically said either refund me or ship me and I got told no.
Unfortunately we won't be able to refund pre-orders. We made it explicitly clear in the shop, in bold red, that this was the case -- see below. In understand the frustration with the delays and have been doing our best to keep all backers informed of why that is, but otherwise this is the nature of crowdfunding, I'm afraid.
I wasnt aware I was crowdfunding. I thought I was pre-ordering a product from a webstore. A few more angry exchanges and I got my money back with some sulky "we dont want you in our community anyways" type comments. I think we've collectively shipped over 1000 TF cards of one sort or another since i placed that order. I would advise people to stay away from the Spectrum NEXT. Seems like its run by numpties.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The ZX Spectrum Next hardware is good and the first Kickstarter, although late to deliver did deliver what they said they would, just late.

They've recently been going though a bad time as the FPGA manufacturer has pulled the rug on the whole industry by stopping production of a line of chips with zero notice and orders outstanding, some from big customers. They're having to switch to a more expensive chip at their own cost and redesign. This time because they're going to have some retail they're having to get the machines through all the regulatory hoops too.

I think that the size of the whole team is maybe four people.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:29 pm The ZX Spectrum Next hardware is good and the first Kickstarter, although late to deliver did deliver what they said they would, just late.

They've recently been going though a bad time as the FPGA manufacturer has pulled the rug on the whole industry by stopping production of a line of chips with zero notice and orders outstanding, some from big customers. They're having to switch to a more expensive chip at their own cost and redesign. This time because they're going to have some retail they're having to get the machines through all the regulatory hoops too.
This just happens in hardware. You change the design to use whats available... and you never EVER take preorders.
stephen_usher wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:29 pm I think that the size of the whole team is maybe four people.
Same size of the team that pumped out the Tf1260s last year. No paying in advance, No waiting. No excuses and if anyone asked for a refund they got it without an argument... even if there was nothing wrong with it. Similar price point and the Tf1260 is much more complex.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:11 pm Same size of the team that pumped out the Tf1260s last year...
and TF1230...
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Megatron wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:44 am Just joined and read the rules and obviously adhering to the Forum etiquette… then saw this thread….

If I may cite the rules here… “Any general negativity towards members or projects will result in a ban”

Seems that by that rule a few of you might deserve a ban don’t you say?
By your logic we would not be able to point out where scams are taking place. I'm not against or being negative to the project. Just that it seems to be taking people's money and 5 years later have not delivered (I know two people personally in this position). This isnt general negativity its calling out specific issues. I suggest you re-read the rules.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Let me reiterate. I have two friends that have continuously asked to get the product they pledged for in February 2017. 2017!!! They've still not got ANYTHING except excuses and lies.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:21 am Folks can you post your experiences with A1200.NET keyboard runs here. I have at least 2 confirmed cases where people who have made orders over 5 years ago are getting their comments deleted when asking about their order.

It seems they have taken money for subsequent orders of A500 keycaps without having fulfilled the previous orders. IMHO this is looking very much like a Ponzie scheme. I would start asking for money back if you've been waiting more than 2 years. I'm sure some people have had keycaps out of this scheme but i think others have been ripped off.
Recapping here because Its become clear that @Megatron is involved with A1200.NET. He's now banned and the ban will not be lifted.

A lot of people are upset with how this project has been handled. I am telling people to be extremely cautious about getting involved with this project based on the experiences of actual customers. I am not saying do not get involved. But use caution and be prepared to lose your money or wait a long time. 5 Years .. to me is money gone.

The messages posted by @Megatron fit the pattern of him wanting to suppress anything that speaks out against the way he treats customers.

Now.... I am aware that I am not the most friendly person in the world but I am not holding anyone's money that i am aware of.

EDIT: Several more people have approached me today to say A1200.NET did not give them a refund after failing to complete their original order. Offered them other products they did not want. They are either scamming on purpose or are utterly incompetent at managing their customers and supply chains. Demand a refund from them if you haven't had your product. Make a paypal claim if they refuse. Either way my advise is to stay away from them 100%
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A1200.NET Keycaps a Ponzi Scheme? (Updated)

Post by terriblefire »

I'm hearing that the cases have shipped and people finally are getting what they paid for 5 years later. Once everyone I know has got theirs i'll change the subject title.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A1200.NET Keycaps a Ponzi Scheme? (Updated)

Post by terriblefire »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 pm I'm hearing that the cases have shipped and people finally are getting what they paid for 5 years later. Once everyone I know has got theirs i'll change the subject title.
I've learned that people who approached me about this have started getting what they paid for. In some cases they've been waiting close to 6 years. While i no longer think this is a scam I would urge people not to get involved in any kickstarters like this.

For me it was always about the appearance that asking for more money for other projects before previous ones were complete looks very bad. Regardless of what the issues the team that did this faced they took people's money and didnt deliver until now.
———

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”