Basilisk II Atari

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

agranlund

Re: Basilisk II Atari

Post by agranlund »

Many thanks for the video @stephen_usher.
Graphics performance does looks a bit slower compared to Hatari emulating a TT, that's good to know :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

CT60 with graphics emulation:
There are quite a few issues and glitches to resolve but it actually starts, and it runs, I'm really happy with that for a first attempt.
I was expecting to hear back that it would just crash on startup :lol:

ct60_1.jpg
ct60_1.jpg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

Quite a bit faster than my machine even though I have native rendering to ET4000 :lol:

IMG_5530.jpg
IMG_5530.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:32 pm Just getting a white screen when trying to start this up on my Falcon. Various resolutions, Mint, no mint, acceleration/fastram, stock, different disks (not tried raw access). Tried the safe IRQ option without effect.

I'm choosing native graphics where possible, but starting it up in 256 mode was the same.
Something to do with Videl?
Thank you for the log @Badwolf !

It does look like ramsize is within what's available but just to be certain, does it make any difference if you let it try working it out itself with "ramsize 0" (I don't think it'll help, but might be good to at least rule it out)

My first guesses would be that it's either
a) crashing somewhere before, or just as it tries to, draw the checkerboard pattern
b) it's actually running but something Videl palette related is going wrong so it all ends up white.

It's super hard to tell without any picture of course. My guess is option a) though.
Does your machine have some kind of disk activity light that'll tell if it's doing stuff and loading MacOS even though the screen is all white?

I'll see if I can provoke the same thing in Hatari but I may end up having to add, and bribe you to run with, a couple of new debug flags to figure out what's going on.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

agranlund wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 am It does look like ramsize is within what's available but just to be certain, does it make any difference if you let it try working it out itself with "ramsize 0" (I don't think it'll help, but might be good to at least rule it out)
Will do
It's super hard to tell without any picture of course. My guess is option a) though.
Does your machine have some kind of disk activity light that'll tell if it's doing stuff and loading MacOS even though the screen is all white?
The drive LED does seem to be active for a few seconds after the screen blanks, which did lead me to think it was running off-framebuffer, but then after a while the little flickering pulses you see during normal operation on the disc LED stop altogether. I'm afraid I've not checked to see if they stop under normal operation of Basilisk anyway.
I'll see if I can provoke the same thing in Hatari but I may end up having to add, and bribe you to run with, a couple of new debug flags to figure out what's going on.
No worries, I'll try the ramsize 0 again later tonight and see if I can get a more accurate report on LED activity.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

@Badwolf this one has a bit more debug stuff.
http://www.happydaze.se/wp-content/uplo ... olf_01.zip

There was a few very minor changes but I'm not having super high hopes.
Still, even if it's still not working then hopefully it'll provide a bit more indication on how far it comes.
Based on the previous log my suspicion is that it was hanging on the initial screen clear, or perhaps on the first palette update.

Try with these settings in basilisk.inf

Code: Select all

logging file
logging_full true
video_debug 22
(logging_full is a bit unsafe in itself, and can too cause hangs, so you usually never want it enabled)

video_debug is a bitfield. I'd try with 22 or 23.

Code: Select all

bit 0 = force full redraws every frame
bit 1 = never set hardware palette
bit 2 = never set vdi palette
bit 4 = don't clear screen on display mode changes
(bit0 is more or less the same as disabling both mmu and cmp acceleration from the video menu.. although even slower :))
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

agranlund wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:27 pm @Badwolf this one has a bit more debug stuff.
http://www.happydaze.se/wp-content/uplo ... olf_01.zip
Ah! You beat me to it! I was just rendering a video showing you the LED activity before hang. :)

ramsize 0 made no difference, BTW.

The exact same SD card is tested working under Hatari, so unfortunately unlikely reproducible.
Try with these settings in basilisk.inf
Wilco.

BW
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

OK, so have tried a few things. All with NVDI, but I did try disabling that on the previous built to no avail.

A. EmuTOS, 640x400x1bit, settings as advised. Log as below. Screen stays looking as it was when the dialogue box closes.

B. TOS 768x480x1bit, settings as above with addition of 'native only' checked. Results as above.

C. TOS 640x400x8bit, 'native only' deselected. FPU disabled (on a hunch). Debug mode 23 set. First ~10 lines of the screen are cleared white before hang.

D. TOS 640x400x1bit, as above. HAPPY MAC!

E. TOS 768x480x1bit, as above. Nada.

F. TOS 640x480x1bit, as above but with FPU re-enabled. HAPPY MAC!

G. TOS 640x480x1bit, as above but back to mode 22. HAPPY MAC!

H. Configuration as G, but returned to EmuTOS as per A. Hangs.

So, I hope there's some reading material for you there! :lol:

BW
Attachments
logs.zip
(15.82 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

After a little bit of help from Anders, I've finally managed to have a go with the screen emulation on my souped up Falcon.

Here's a quick demo. :-)

BW

@agranlund
shoggoth77

Post by shoggoth77 »

And then and then and then and then and then?
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

shoggoth77 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm And then and then and then and then and then?

:lol:

Return to “SOFTWARE”