Basilisk II Atari

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

agranlund

Re: Basilisk II Atari

Post by agranlund »

EvilFranky wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:27 pm This is really interesting!
So will it be possible to run this on a standard ST @ 8Mhz/4MB in mono? Will MacOS support 640*400 resolution?
Obviously not expecting games or any sort of audio, but messing around with the OS would be good.
MacOS supports pretty much any resolution as long as the pixel format on the Atari is the same as the Mac expects.
(There is no emulation of graphics, MacOS is given a virtual display driver and from then on the Mac side will access the Atari screen directly as if it was native. This is one of the reasons why it can be so fast)

For most machines, that would be 640x400 mono.
Or a pretty nice 1280x960 MacOS desktop if you have a TT with mono monitor :)
Graphics cards work now too. Your milage will vary which modes are going to work, it depends on the card I suppose.
I have an ET4000 for PC in my Atari so the byte order is different from what Mac expects.
256 color & Mono modes works perfect but 15,16,24bit modes make wrong colors on my card.

I am not planning on doing anything to support a normal 68000 though. I think your best bet is to use the already existing Spectre-GCR. It's supposed to work quite well?

I am using CPU specific stuff to achieve virtualisation so at the moment it will only run on a 68030.
Supporting 68040/60 should be easy and only involve some MMU specific code. But since I don't have such machine I think adding that support would be up to someone else once this thing is on Github.
68020 with external MMU would be very extremely similar, if not the same, as the 68030 code but there isn't any such Atari out there as far as I know :)

I think getting it to run on a 68000 would not be for the faint of heart :lol:
This CPU really lacks support for any kind of virtualisation and it would become hard to prevent MacOS, or TOS, from regaining control and wreaking havoc on you virtual "hypervisor".
The 68010 is maybe slightly "easier", but still not nearly as easy as with the help of the MMU on 68020+.
Making sure MacOS is free to read/write to address range 0-0x2000 becomes a lot more challenging on these CPUs as well.
Not saying it cannot be done, I'm sure it can, but it won't be by me :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Spectre GCR works very well, as long as you want to use System 6.0.{5,6,7}. System 7.0 doesn't work. System 6.0.8 has sound issues and System 6 before 6.0.5 doesn't work either.

I wonder... Could your port of Basilisk II support the Appleshare port on the TT?.... It's using the same SCC chip as the Mac so if it were mapped into the correct address maybe it would.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
EvilFranky

Post by EvilFranky »

agranlund wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:18 pm
EvilFranky wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:27 pm This is really interesting!
So will it be possible to run this on a standard ST @ 8Mhz/4MB in mono? Will MacOS support 640*400 resolution?
Obviously not expecting games or any sort of audio, but messing around with the OS would be good.
MacOS supports pretty much any resolution as long as the pixel format on the Atari is the same as the Mac expects.
(There is no emulation of graphics, MacOS is given a virtual display driver and from then on the Mac side will access the Atari screen directly as if it was native. This is one of the reasons why it can be so fast)

For most machines, that would be 640x400 mono.
Or a pretty nice 1280x960 MacOS desktop if you have a TT with mono monitor :)
Graphics cards work now too. Your milage will vary which modes are going to work, it depends on the card I suppose.
I have an ET4000 for PC in my Atari so the byte order is different from what Mac expects.
256 color & Mono modes works perfect but 15,16,24bit modes make wrong colors on my card.

I am not planning on doing anything to support a normal 68000 though. I think your best bet is to use the already existing Spectre-GCR. It's supposed to work quite well?

I am using CPU specific stuff to achieve virtualisation so at the moment it will only run on a 68030.
Supporting 68040/60 should be easy and only involve some MMU specific code. But since I don't have such machine I think adding that support would be up to someone else once this thing is on Github.
68020 with external MMU would be very extremely similar, if not the same, as the 68030 code but there isn't any such Atari out there as far as I know :)

I think getting it to run on a 68000 would not be for the faint of heart :lol:
This CPU really lacks support for any kind of virtualisation and it would become hard to prevent MacOS, or TOS, from regaining control and wreaking havoc on you virtual "hypervisor".
The 68010 is maybe slightly "easier", but still not nearly as easy as with the help of the MMU on 68020+.
Making sure MacOS is free to read/write to address range 0-0x2000 becomes a lot more challenging on these CPUs as well.
Not saying it cannot be done, I'm sure it can, but it won't be by me :)
Thanks for the explanation! Looking forward to watching this develop :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

If anyone is interested in giving it a whirl then you can grab a pre-release test version from here:
http://www.happydaze.se/basiliskii/

Consider it a test build. It doesn't have all features of the mainline ports and it's not quite as compatible yet.
There may/will be bugs and it's quite rough around the edges.
There's a disk image available as well. It probably won't be there forever but it's there for now since it can be a hassle getting to grips with how to make disk images yourself (at least it was for me)

Requires a 68030 or better(*) with MMU. FPU is optional.
Minimum 4MB RAM, a harddrive, a Mono monitor (or a graphics card running in some Mac compatible video mode - I'd recommend 8bit mode)
(*) I've only been able to test '040 and '060 compatibility in Hatari. It would be super interesting to hear if it works on Falcon CT60 :)

Check readme.txt for details.
If you decide to experiment with raw direct-device access instead of, or as a supplement to, disk images I *strongly* recommend backing up your stuff first.
I use it, but that's no guarantee there aren't any bugs lurking that only surface with certain combinations of devices and drivers etc..
Disk images are incredibly slow, but safe.

Personally only tested this thing on a 520ST with TF536, and an ET4000 graphics card with NVDI5 drivers.
Atari TOS2.06, EmuTOS1.1.1, MagicC6.2, FreeMint (not sure which version)
Your mileage may vary :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'll see if I can find time to try it this weekend on the TT in ST-HIGH mode.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
JezC

Post by JezC »

I should be able to fire up my H4 + TF536 and maybe the Falcon (no CT60 I'm afraid).

Hoping to test other Atari stuff over the weekend as well, so will probably be a brief try at this point.

Will report back with my findings!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Ah. Slight problem. I don't have a partition large enough for the disk image!

Does it really need to be 100MB?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Without the disk image it starts and looks for a boot drive.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:58 pm Ah. Slight problem. I don't have a partition large enough for the disk image!

Does it really need to be 100MB?
No you’re absolutely right. Mac OS 7.5.5 itself, which is on that image, only takes up about 30MB.
I’ll make a smaller one without much additional software - it’s a handful of ”newer” 256-color-only games taking most of the space I think.

(Mac OS 7.0.1 would be even smaller still, but I don’t have an install of that one readily available. And MacOS8 is quite a bit larger needing 94MB for a bare install)

Edit: @stephen_usher, I've split that image in two so it's a pretty small install of only 50MB.
disk2.zip is just a handful of color-only games / game-demos requiring a graphics card to run.

Of course, you can find tons of other pre-made disk images for BasiliskII all over the place but they're usually quite large as people use them on PC's.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Running this on my CT60 Falcon, in 68030 mode I very briefly get a happy Mac icon, then the question mark floppy icon. The inf file does appear to be pointing to the correct rom and disk image, but there may still be something I'm doing wrong.

However, I'm sure you're more interested in 68060 mode, where I'm afraid I get the following right after launching BASILISK.PRG:

basilisk060.jpeg
basilisk060.jpeg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 2589 times

If it matters, this is regular TOS 4.04, CT60e BIOS 1.03e, no AUTO folder programs, no ACCs.

Return to “SOFTWARE”