Basilisk II Atari

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

agranlund

Re: Basilisk II Atari

Post by agranlund »

andresv wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:02 pm The emulation seems to be enough for running MacOS, so my question is: what's missing?
- No sound yet
- No keyboard support yet
- Mouse support is bare minimum for me to be able to test, could be better
- HDD/CDRom disk image access is very slow, code is bare minimum atm
(also not helped by the fact that my IDE drive is connected to the ST bus rather than to the TF536, but still...)
Also need to test, and possibly make fixes for, when using an ACSI drive.

- Gfx driver is in hardcoded proof-of-concept stage. Needs to be made proper and robust, with options, auto detect and so on.
- Just generally make it user friendly, and in a state where it's usable by anyone :)
There's barely any error checking or messages yet. For example, it will ungracefully crash or hang if you tell it to use a disk image that doesn't exist etc..
There's no cleanup code yet so you can't really quit back to TOS, you need to restart the machine.
Some kind of configuration GUI would be nice.

Other things I want to add, but further down the road:
- Access to host filesystem for sharing files between Mac/Atari
- Serial port support
- Ethernet support
- Real SCSI support for computer that has it
(Likely up to someone else to implement, I don't have a computer with SCSI
- 68040/60 support for those fancy Falcon CT60 machines
(again, this would have to be done by someone else that has a 040/060 computer once this is on Github - it's mainly just the different MMU code is going to be needed)

Possibly more... there's always more.. :lol:
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Thats some really solid work there! Well done! :cheers:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's nice to see that it's working on real hardware and not just in an emulator. :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:20 pm It's nice to see that it's working on real hardware and not just in an emulator. :-)
Yeah I agree! Emulators are nice, especially for debugging, but it's not 100% the same.
Although it feels strangely satisfying running a Mac, that emulates an Atari, that emulates a Mac :lol:
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:26 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:20 pm It's nice to see that it's working on real hardware and not just in an emulator. :-)
Yeah I agree! Emulators are nice, especially for debugging, but it's not 100% the same.
Although it feels strangely satisfying running a Mac, that emulates an Atari, that emulates a Mac :lol:
:dizzy:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:26 pm
Hehe... Is there an System 7 Atari emulator?... ;-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mikro

Post by mikro »

Amazing! My a decade-long dream is to do something similar with (Win)UAE, i.e. native CPU and partially graphics/sound, rest emulated. Should be able to get at least those newschool AGA demos going.
EvilFranky

Post by EvilFranky »

This is really interesting!

So will it be possible to run this on a standard ST @ 8Mhz/4MB in mono? Will MacOS support 640*400 resolution?

Obviously not expecting games or any sort of audio, but messing around with the OS would be good.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:05 pm This has been an off and on thing for a while now. Mostly off to be fair - there's only so much staring at a debugger one can take :lol:
Stunning work so far Anders!

New software for all the modded hardware out there is an absolute delight to see. :-)

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

mikro wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:54 am Amazing! My a decade-long dream is to do something similar with (Win)UAE, i.e. native CPU and partially graphics/sound, rest emulated. Should be able to get at least those newschool AGA demos going.
Oh, yeah that would be awesome!
Not a small task in any stretch of the imagination but it's probably doable depending on how much you want to emulate on a low level.
The "easiest" is probably if you are only concerned about RTG+AHI stuff, then you could possibly inject your own driver in a similar concept of how Basilisk solves not having to low-level emulate any of that stuff.

Return to “SOFTWARE”