The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:56 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:52 pm I don't know of any retail electronic component shops any more, with both Maplin and Tandy gone.
I think there's a few like rapid, ESR, Cricklewood etc...dotted about but only odd shops.
Rapid is up the road from me, but I haven't really used them. Cricklewood are great though. I miss Tandy and Maplin though.

I have found a few regular suppliers on ebay who supply good parts though.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Retroleum have been good, but there's still effectively a 2 day turn around from when I discover I need something and when it arrives.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The last chip, the MC4044P, has now arrived, so I can try that this evening after I've cleared away the STFM+TF
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 pm The last chip, the MC4044P, has now arrived, so I can try that this evening after I've cleared away the STFM+TF
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I have everything crossed!!!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:47 pm
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I have everything crossed!!!
...and I'm going to make the last crossed fingers EVER before I lose my marbles over this...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:lol:
Well, if this doesn't work then I give up and live with the banding. :-)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The last chip changed and... no change.

So, it must be intrinsic to this version of the board as the only things left are the resistors and ceramic capacitors.

There must be a trace which has a resonance with a harmic frequency of the video circuit somethere.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...here are four pictures of my phases of emotions:

:cry:

:mad:

:comp:

:awwww:

It's not quite correct though. I really needed an angry smiley emoji throwing the computer out the window...but you get the idea.

Seriously, I'm very sorry. If its any sort of consolation, if you can get down to the show in September and like the look of my C64 screen, I will swap my C64 with yours. :D
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:54 pm The last chip changed and... no change.

So, it must be intrinsic to this version of the board as the only things left are the resistors and ceramic capacitors.

There must be a trace which has a resonance with a harmic frequency of the video circuit somethere.
Oh crikey, that is annoying !! :dizzy:

I guess I'm with @mrbombermillzy at this point!!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah. I'm trying to join the Lemon 64 forum at the moment to see if there are any experts on there who know of fixes.

The trouble is that I think it requires a human to initiate the registration e-mail. You can't even search without being a member.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”