The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
stephen_usher

Re: The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Post by stephen_usher »

The 74LS74 now socketed. I now need some more 14 pin sockets. I've ordered a new chip from Retroleum so it may arrive by the end of the week.

I also reflowed all the capacitor and resistor legs.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
bigbloke

Post by bigbloke »

I haven't read the whole thread (TL;DR :) ) and I know next to naff all about C64s, but that last picture of the VIC chip, there is a resistor jammed into the left side of C86, that doesn't have any silk screen reference I can see. Just wondering if that's been ruled out as a cause?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

This is the complete clock circuit:

251138-2of2-r.jpg
251138-2of2-r.jpg (315.05 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

The resistor in question is R101, which for the Rev 1 VIC-II is 22 Kohm. It's just a pull-up resistor. For the rev 3 VIC-II it's removed.

I've replaced the crystal Y1, C70 and U31
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:50 pm Well I've installed the new chip and...

There

Are...

No changes. It's just the same.

I'm leaning towards the conclusion that it's a "feature" of this particular motherboard revision.
Damn, that's frustrating. Maybe time to go for the 193 as well?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
bigbloke

Post by bigbloke »

Thanks for the circuit and explanation of R101. Looking back at that picture from page 11, pin 1 of the MC4044 looks extremely janky, and that is a critical element of the feedback loop to the LS629. Might be worth looking at DOT-CLOCK and seeing how stable it actually is? Otherwise I got nothing. PLLs and stuff is a black art I am not fully versed in!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's OK, it's just slightly under soldered.

Anyway, I've ordered this morning a 74LS193 and a whole load of 14 pin sockets as I've run out. I think I'll desolder and socket the rest of the chips in the can. Once the 74LS74 and 74LS193 have been replaced the only chip left will be the MC4044P.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The chips and sockets have now arrived so I can see if they make any difference tonight.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:57 pm The chips and sockets have now arrived so I can see if they make any difference tonight.
I'll be looking out for updates :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

I seem to recall Bill Herd stating that the C64 used 'Commodore Chroma', and that the 1701 monitor 'corrected' that so that colour looked good - on anything else it would look bad... could this just be that issue? Ie design...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Not really, as what would be described there would be a constant change for the whole screen, not bands where the chroma signal is varying frequency across the image. It's also on the RF.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”