Uh Oh.Electron inbound

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
mrbombermillzy

Re: Uh Oh.Electron inbound

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Dammit! @rubber_jonnie all this Elk Pron; nice photos and the like is really making me struggle with NOT fetching it out of the loft.

Especially as I just bought that Aydin monitor which is still out and came with the RGBI beeb lead (which I imagine the Elk also has?).

There's some games very accessible on the shelf, and I have a portable cassette player around the same location as the elk.

Can sort a 16v DC PSU too easily; in fact, the only thing really stopping the show is the lack of a cassette interfacing cable. (I may even have that in my connoisseur computer lead collection).

I sense a trip back to that game shop soon...

Hang on. TIME. That's what I don't have, TIME! :lol:

I am intrigued, however, like @stephen_usher as to what the differences are between the beeb and Elk versions of Elite.

I would imagine, that, like mentioned, the video modes are different, but I was wondering also whether the same missions, no of ships, thargoids, etc are in the game?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm not sure. I think someone on Stardot has investigated the differences in every version.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:29 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm I wonder if the full BBC version of Elite (rather than Electron specific one) will work on the expanded machine.
Loads and screen corrupts, so no it doesn't work on the Electron it would seem.
Yeah, probably can't swap modes on the fly in the same way as on the Beeb.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:38 pm Dammit! @rubber_jonnie all this Elk Pron; nice photos and the like is really making me struggle with NOT fetching it out of the loft.

Especially as I just bought that Aydin monitor which is still out and came with the RGBI beeb lead (which I imagine the Elk also has?).

There's some games very accessible on the shelf, and I have a portable cassette player around the same location as the elk.

Can sort a 16v DC PSU too easily; in fact, the only thing really stopping the show is the lack of a cassette interfacing cable. (I may even have that in my connoisseur computer lead collection).

I sense a trip back to that game shop soon...

Hang on. TIME. That's what I don't have, TIME! :lol:

I am intrigued, however, like @stephen_usher as to what the differences are between the beeb and Elk versions of Elite.

I would imagine, that, like mentioned, the video modes are different, but I was wondering also whether the same missions, no of ships, thargoids, etc are in the game?
Ahh, go on, you know you want to :)

As for differences, there's some detail here: https://www.bbcelite.com/electron/

Definitely cut down compared to the Beeb version
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:55 pm As for differences, there's some detail here: https://www.bbcelite.com/electron/

Well, I've had a quick look around and...apparently not so much:

It seems there are several versions, some quite close to the beeb original.

The guy in the linked YT vid has a pimped Elk with 64Kb and an ARM (RPi) co-processor. There's definitely stuff on that version that the site you linked said was missing from the original.

It's like one of those answers that just make you ask more questions... :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:14 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:55 pm As for differences, there's some detail here: https://www.bbcelite.com/electron/

The guy in the linked YT vid has a pimped Elk with 64Kb and an ARM (RPi) co-processor. There's definitely stuff on that version that the site you linked said was missing from the original.

Its like one of those answers that just make you ask more questions... :roll:
If we are talking the unadulterated version, then there are differences you can't escape. Trouble is, over the years since Elite came out, a lot has been done to address those differences, but the same site does have a good guide here: https://www.bbcelite.com/compare/versions_of_elite.html

It's kind of made me think about a 2nd 6502 for one of my Beebs, just for Elite :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:22 pm It's kind of made me think about a 2nd 6502 for one of my Beebs, just for Elite :)
Or a PiTube 2nd processor.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:28 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:22 pm It's kind of made me think about a 2nd 6502 for one of my Beebs, just for Elite :)
Or a PiTube 2nd processor.
Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same thing :)
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Well, I was unaware there were so many versions of Elite for Acorn machines, even down to beeb disk/tape versions being different.

(I guess that is a representation of the customisation options available to them these days).
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:57 pm Well, I was unaware there were so many versions of Elite for Acorn machines, even down to beeb disk/tape versions being different.

(I guess that is a representation of the customisation options available to them these days).
:dizzy:

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”