NEC Multisync LCD

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
mrbombermillzy

Re: TT Software overscan?

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Atarian Computing wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 pm Just bought 3 1990FX monitors. Yet to receive them. Hopefully they will do 15khz.
Youre worse than me with two! :lol:

Though to be fair, I only wanted one, but the first one I had delivered was smashed up by the courier (that base is quite heavy, isnt it?) so I had to try again.

@IngoQ: I believe in my original AF sum up of the 1990FXp, it wasnt the ideal monitor; multi res Amiga demos being the main hurdle. A change of resolution doesnt always get auto scaled properly, and the interlace modes dont display at all. And like pointed out about the Dell monitors, even the manufacture date can matter.

I actually work for a small company that refurbishes Dell computer products, and the screen manufacturers get swapped about quite a bit, (the display electronics not quite as often but still a bit here and there) hence the whole 'lucky dip' nature of it all.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Atarian Computing wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 pm Just bought 3 1990FX monitors. Yet to receive them. Hopefully they will do 15khz.
Youre worse than me with two! :lol:

Though to be fair, I only wanted one, but the first one I had delivered was smashed up by the courier (that base is quite heavy, isnt it?) so I had to try again.

@IngoQ: I believe in my original AF sum up of the 1990FXp, it wasnt the ideal monitor; multi res Amiga demos being the main hurdle. A change of resolution doesnt always get auto scaled properly, and the interlace modes dont display at all. And like pointed out about the Dell monitors, even the manufacture date can matter.

I actually work for a small company that refurbishes Dell computer products, and the screen manufacturers get swapped about quite a bit, (the display electronics not quite as often but still a bit here and there) hence the whole 'lucky dip' nature of it all.
These three were too cheap to pass up. Less than 100€ including shipping. Actually half was shipping.
Atarian Computing

Happy days! Monitors arrived. All 31.5kg. That was an absolute masterclass on packing, just awesome. Seller did communicate to me that one monitor turned out to be a slightly inferior 1990SX and offered a discount that I accepted. Condition was like new on all of them.

The two 1990FX monitors do glorious 15khz :yay2:

The 1990SX, like its big brother the 1990SXi, was out of sync. But I wasn't expecting any of them to do 15khz. So chuffed because my only 15khz monitor so far has been the BenQ BL702A which, compared to NEC, well it's a LADA where NEC is a top spec Range Rover.
Atarian Computing

Re: NEC Multisync LCD

eBay UK has a 1990FX for a reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cheap-19-NEC-M ... Sw6LBa4EIb
Atarian Computing

NEC LCD1990FX - 19", 14ms, S-IPS (LG.Philips LM190E05) - DVI-I and D-SUB

NEC LCD1990FXp - 19", 20ms, PVA (Samsung LTM190E4) - Thin bezel - DVI-I and D-SUB

NEC LCD1990SX - 19", 8ms, PVA (Samsung LTM190E4) - DVI-D, DVI-I, D-SUB

NEC LCD1990SXi - 19", 18ms, S-IPS (LG.Philips LM190E05) - DVI-D, DVI-I, D-SUB
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Picked one of these up on ebay for £10.

Wish I'd had one of these before, quality is great for the ST. I bet they were expensive when new.

Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S. Whats the round port near the power cable for?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
mikro

Post by mikro »

Atarian Computing wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pmone monitor turned out to be a slightly inferior 1990SX
Looking at your table below this post how come this is slightly inferior? LCD1990SX seems to have both digital and analog DVI and faster response time so in my eyes looks far more superior than the FX?

While on the topic, what model would you recommend more, the FX or FXp?
Atarian Computing

mikro wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 am
Atarian Computing wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pmone monitor turned out to be a slightly inferior 1990SX
Looking at your table below this post how come this is slightly inferior? LCD1990SX seems to have both digital and analog DVI and faster response time so in my eyes looks far more superior than the FX?

While on the topic, what model would you recommend more, the FX or FXp?
SX and FXp both have PVA displays, so despite the SX having a faster response time (good for modern FPS games) IPS, which the FX has, is always the better display. Also, while the SX probably has some features over the FX, the mere existence of the SXi makes the SX "slightly inferior" because SXi is what you would absolutely get if not the FX. So the SXi is the top tier display in this range. But mine doesn't do 15khz so the FX reigns supreme with ST and SXi with TT.

In terms of FX vs FXp, if you don't mind PVA, you get thinner bezels on the FXp than the FX. Not sure about features, but I understand the FX to be the higher tier display. Don't know about FXp and 15khz. Here is the FXp at NEC's website: https://www.necdisplay.com/p/displays/lcd1990fxp-bk
Atarian Computing

Forgottenmyname wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 pm Picked one of these up on ebay for £10.

Wish I'd had one of these before, quality is great for the ST. I bet they were expensive when new.

Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S. Whats the round port near the power cable for?
"DC out for optional NEC products such as the Soundbar attachment. Do not use this connector unless specified"

So you got the SX or SXi?
mikro

Post by mikro »

Atarian Computing wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 amSX and FXp both have PVA displays, so despite the SX having a faster response time (good for modern FPS games) IPS, which the FX has, is always the better display.
Thank you for your explanation, I'm not really an expert when it comes to LCDs.

Return to “DISPLAYS & CONVERTERS”