PiStorm Chat

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Badwolf

PiStorm Chat

Post by Badwolf »

Anyone able to sell me a proven working PiStorm for a not ridiculous sum?

It's getting to that kind of time where I'm thinking about fiddling with this on the ST.

Unfortuntely, since I don't have any Amigas, even if I buy from a "decent" store I'd have no way of knowing if the board or assembly are faulty before I start experimenting.

I know this isn't really the crowd that has a big pile of PiStorms, but OTOH I might get a bit more sympathy for my "proven working" request than... elsewhere. :lol:

Cheers,

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
agranlund

Re: PiStorm Chat

Post by agranlund »

@Badwolf, I don't have one for sale and I don't know what they cost but I'd be happy to chip in with a bit for the purpose of getting you a board. I just like the idea of someone having a go at getting that thing working on an ST no matter if the result is a success or not.
A BadPiWolfStorm board would be quite neat :)
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

agranlund wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:20 pm @Badwolf, I don't have one for sale and I don't know what they cost but I'd be happy to chip in with a bit for the purpose of getting you a board.
Haha, that’s very kind, but I don’t think they’re that bad. Well apart from a few cheeky beggars on eBay who want £120 or the like.

Even with the shortages I think they can still be picked up for €50 or so. I actually have a board and most of the components here (the CPLD is the odd man out, naturally!), but the issue would be the same if I build my own one: how do I know it’s working before I start trying to do development on it!

(And yes, I did consider buying an A500 literally just to bootstrap a PiStorm, but with the recent STFM acquisition, I think that would be excessive!)

BW
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

There is a tester board available, please look at their Discord forum.
alexh

Post by alexh »

You can buy the carrier board for about £30 but the raspberry pi is sold out everywhere. If you have a pi3b or a zero 2w just by the carrier board
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I thought the whole PiStorm thing was supposed to be an accelerator for $15 (runs away fast) :lol:
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alexh

Post by alexh »

If you solder the carrier board yourself you can do it for about £15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175267011410

The cheapest compatible Pi is the Zero 2w which costs £15 but they are sold out until 2023

But it's very much alpha quality in terms of compatibility. The development while open source has very much stalled due to lack of an active developer
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

alexh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:59 am You can buy the carrier board for about £30 but the raspberry pi is sold out everywhere. If you have a pi3b or a zero 2w just by the carrier board
alexh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:31 am If you solder the carrier board yourself you can do it for about £15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175267011410
I saw that board -- no CPLD, mind! I already have a bare board and most of the other bits (again CPLD excuding) -- but the issue is how will I verify my build? Hence asking if anyone's able to sell me a known working version.

I suppose I could build it & post it to an Amiga owner for verification.
But it's very much alpha quality in terms of compatibility. The development while open source has very much stalled due to lack of an active developer
Do you mean for the ST or Amiga? I wasn't sure if the ST support was off the drawing board at all yet.
The cheapest compatible Pi is the Zero 2w which costs £15 but they are sold out until 2023
I do need to get on the discord server, but I do so hate discord. i don't have a Pi3A but I have a few Pi3Bs -- I understand they can work, albeit with a clearance issue. I don't recall if my zeros are 2s or not. Don't think they are.
Maximilian wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:06 am There is a tester board available, please look at their Discord forum.
OK, you've convinced me. I'll dust off my discord chops again. I do so dislike it. I never know where I'm meant to be looking!

What do you mean by a a tester board, BTW? Like a blinky-light continuity tester thing?

Cheers all,

BW
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:58 am I thought the whole PiStorm thing was supposed to be an accelerator for $15 (runs away fast) :lol:
Like the Rasberry Pi is a computer for $35?

Only if you live in Cambrdige ATM. ;)

BW
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Badwolf wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:14 am
terriblefire wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:58 am I thought the whole PiStorm thing was supposed to be an accelerator for $15 (runs away fast) :lol:
Like the Rasberry Pi is a computer for $35?

Only if you live in Cambrdige ATM. ;)

BW
Joking aside this happens every time you make something for the Amiga. You start out designing a simple cheap option and by the time you're done you basically are the same price as everyone else. :/
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”