NetUSBee mouse crashes game intro

Problems with your machine in general.
digitalman

NetUSBee mouse crashes game intro

Post by digitalman »

Here's an odd situation.

I recently upgraded my real hard drive to a SCSI2SD card. I copied all my files to a PC before replacing the drive then copied them back to the same locations. ie. C: D: E: etc...

Everything appears to work correctly, except for this one version of The Secret of Monkey Island. As soon as the Cracktro starts the computer locks up. I've narrowed it down to my USB Mouse. If I unplug it, the game launches just fine. To be clear, the cracktro launches and then I am able to proceed to the game. I can even boot with the mouse, but must unplug before launching the game.

But here is the bizarre thing. It worked fine with the USB mouse before I swapped drives! Also, other games seem to work. In fact I can play other versions of Monkey Island, unfortunately the rest of the versions I have are all non - English.

What would have changed? Clearly something with the Cracktro is faulting with the mouse? It is the version of MI distributed by the Medway Boys (cracked by Zippy). I can use a standard STM mouse but that's just frustrating.
Badwolf

Re: NetUSBee mouse crashes game intro

Post by Badwolf »

I presume the mouse must have drivers? What happens if you don't unplug it, but don't load those?

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:35 am I presume the mouse must have drivers? What happens if you don't unplug it, but don't load those?

BW
Indeed, or just change the order of programs in the AUTO folder.

It sounds like an interrupt routine is being overwritten in memory by the game code to me. Previously the driver was probably loaded at a different address that the game happened not to corrupt.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
DoG

Post by DoG »

The NetUSBee has a rather specific order in which you load each *. PRG in the autofolder. Use AUTOSORT. PRG to get them in the right order that specified in the readme för the drivers pack.
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

This is my current Auto folder. (in order)

POOLFIX92
USB
MOUSE
NETUSBEE

I did have to rearrange everything when I copied back the files, but that is the only order they can go.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Seems right.
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:35 am I presume the mouse must have drivers? What happens if you don't unplug it, but don't load those?
Well that's interesting. If I remove the mouse driver, but leave everything else, including keep the mouse plugged in, the Cracktro music plays but I just get a white screen. Can't do anything else. I can't get past it, space is what normally proceeds but it's just stuck there.

One thing to note, even though the Mouse driver is not installed the NETUSBEE see it on the bus. I just can't use it. So odd. Would really like to know what is different. I guess it's loading into a different address space? I presume then it's actually the NETUSBEE driver?

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”