Medusa Scandoubler announced!

Latest Atari related news.
derkom

Re: Medusa Scandoubler announced!

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:21 pm Has anyone fitted an OSSC or RetroTink or Framemeister
internally in an ST, Mega STe, or TT?
Before I switched over to the RGB2HDMI, I had a OSSC inside my project Stacy. I removed it from the case (obviously) and built a little custom PCB to allow the screen and buttons to be relocated to the Stacy's TOS door. It was definitely not easy to do, and in the end not the right solution, so if Medusa is better suited for that kind of task, maybe that's a niche it can fill.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:13 pm Before I switched over to the RGB2HDMI, I had a OSSC inside my project Stacy. I removed it from the case (obviously) and built a little custom PCB to allow the screen and buttons to be relocated to the Stacy's TOS door. It was definitely not easy to do, and in the end not the right solution, so if Medusa is better suited for that kind of task, maybe that's a niche it can fill.
Hey Derkom! Yeah, see that's what I was thinking about.

I can't really tell from the picture as to size 'n stuff.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:45 am I can't really tell from the picture as to size 'n stuff.
I know you know the Stary innards better than most, so perhaps the photos in this post from my Stacy thread will help you out. Do note that the OSSC display, buttons, power switch, and firmware update header were all removed to make that fit.

RGB2HDMI ended up being a far better solution though. If you're already mucking about inside something, I'd certainly prefer going that route if possible.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:22 am
I know you know the Stary innards better than most, so perhaps the photos in this post from my Stacy thread will help you out. Do note that the OSSC display, buttons, power switch, and firmware update header were all removed to make that fit.

RGB2HDMI ended up being a far better solution though. If you're already mucking about inside something, I'd certainly prefer going that route if possible.
Yeah, your "Summer STacy" thread is a godsend. :yay2:

I'm hoping/planning for a couple of weeks in late spring/early summer to do some planned upgrades
on my STacy that I've been kicking around for a while. Just been acquiring all the parts so when I rip
("rip" seems to be a much more accurate word when referring to disassembling a STacy!) her apart
I'll have everything ready to go. Looking forward to finally having (another) color display in my STacy
that is a keeper this time. I only left my first attempt in for about a month before taking it all out
again because I was dissatisfied with the pictures quality/results.

Thought about starting a thread here showing my efforts but with a thread like yours, there's really
no need. Besides, any comparison would probably run like this:

Derkom's Summer STacy Project (what to do!) vs DarkLord's Summer STacy project (what NOT to do!).

:lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:00 pm Thought about starting a thread here showing my efforts but with a thread like yours, there's really
no need.
The more the merrier I say. I'd certainly enjoy seeing your take on the same project.
Besides, any comparison would probably run like this:

Derkom's Summer STacy Project (what to do!) vs DarkLord's Summer STacy project (what NOT to do!).
There was certainly quite a bit of "what not to do" in mine! A lot of that project consisted of just poking and prodding until things started to make sense. :lol:
nowy80

Post by nowy80 »

I invite you to watch the review of scandoubler Medusa. I also prepared a comparison of the generated image between Medusa and the twice as expensive xRGB Framemeister.
https://youtu.be/Gnr0Q6j7MRo
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Not sure if its been mentioned but I tried logging into Lotharteks site as I have done in the past and got this messsage

We are sorry, but sales to UK customers were permanently suspended.

I guess we cant order stuff from there now.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 am We are sorry, but sales to UK customers were permanently suspended.
I guess we cant order stuff from there now.
That happened a while ago. There are multiple UK distributors of his stuff with various markups on the items :roll:

I was considering being a distributor myself with selling Atari stuff already. But after offering to another company which was a waste of time, I think he wanted someone VAT registered. Fair enough, but when you actively building and creating stuff you just do not have the time to mess about with paperwork like that.

Are you considering buying one then @Icky ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'd buy one, but I'd need confirmation that it can do 'odd' screen frequencies, ie; on my Falcon I use Centscreen to do a high res but the vertical refresh is something like 27 hz and only the dell u2410 monitor can display it properly, if the medusa can deal with that I'd buy one for sure.

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”