A BBC B is coming, but it has a tinge of sadness

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A BBC B is coming, but it has a tinge of sadness

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am All normal.

Your combined MMFS+BASIC ROM is a 32KB 27C256 with 2 images in - the standard sockets on a B only address 16KB hence my adapters.
Ok, that makes perfect sense.
cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am The Acorn MOS checks the ROMs from 15->0. It starts the first "language" ROM it finds. Right most socket is 15 (and 3,7,11).
Ok, so with Interword removed, I have MMFS at slot 15 and Basic at slot 11.
cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am The "language" can use additional memory workspaces so any ROM that runs a front end is usually a "language" so word processors or PCB software etc usually have a language entry point.
Ok, so It seems that whatever slot I put Interword in, it shows up in slot above BASIC in slot 11. I suppose I could dump the MMFS ROM and reburn so BASIC appears ahead of MMFS.

The Interword ROM is on a daughterboard with some sort of IC (GAL/PAL maybe) and won't work off it. It always appears high up, and in fact shows in multiple slots when using RTOOL.

I can drop out of Interword by using the :kill command to drop to the * prompt, then typing BASIC, or I can press SHIFT+BREAK to force a boot from the disk inserted into the MMFS disk 0.

I'd really like to keep Interword as it came with the machine and has some sentimental value, but unless I use the original mask ROM, it seems to become the language ROM with the highest priority.

Any suggestions welcomed :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

As the OS scans the ROMs any without extra decoding will appear 4x... once for 15-12 and 3 ghost/alias images. It checks the first 1K against the other ROMs and if that is identical it assumes the ROM in the logical bank is a duplicate so marks it as NFG in the ROM table.

What you need is BASIC in 15 and interword in any other socket.

Best options:
  • put the SWRAM/ROM in the right most slot and burn a new 27C256 with BASIC in 4000-7fff and MMFS in 0-3fff.
  • put the EEPROM in the right most slot and program BASIC in to bank 15
If you want to burn MMFS then get the latest version here https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/releases

There are a few ROMs with PAL/GAL bank switching from BITD. The INTER products and some spellchecker and Watford Quest Paint spring to mind. There are some reverse engineered PAL JED files on stardot IIRC.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:20 pm As the OS scans the ROMs any without extra decoding will appear 4x... once for 15-12 and 3 ghost/alias images. It checks the first 1K against the other ROMs and if that is identical it assumes the ROM in the logical bank is a duplicate so marks it as NFG in the ROM table.

What you need is BASIC in 15 and interword in any other socket.

Best options:
  • put the SWRAM/ROM in the right most slot and burn a new 27C256 with BASIC in 4000-7fff and MMFS in 0-3fff.
If you want to burn MMFS then get the latest version here https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/releases

There are a few ROMs with PAL/GAL bank switching from BITD. The INTER products and some spellchecker and Watford Quest Paint spring to mind. There are some reverse engineered PAL JED files on stardot IIRC.
That's great, thanks for the info I'll reburn the ROMs as suggested to get BASIC into slot 15.

I'll let you know how it goes.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:20 pm
Best options:
I did exactly as above and it worked first time. BASIC and MMFS have switched places, with BASIC now in slot 15 & MMFS in slot 12, so no more booting straight to Interword and everything else in the slots provided by your EEPROM all work very much as expected.

So I now have a free ROM slot, any suggestions on what I might put in there?
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:16 pm So I now have a free ROM slot, any suggestions on what I might put in there?
ZIF socket on a fly lead to the ashtray hole? Or save it for something later.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:16 pm So I now have a free ROM slot, any suggestions on what I might put in there?
ZIF socket on a fly lead to the ashtray hole? Or save it for something later.
Ooooh, I like the ZIF socket idea, might have to look into that, thanks.

Any recommendations on the ZIF socket, is there a particular one that fits best?
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Just a 3M TEXTOOL one (or chinese copy) is fine. I have a Watford Electronics one from BITD - google it you will see the PCB & the way they did it. Others were made too. I think it has some pull ups on the address bus and decoupling otherwise it is just a passive extender.

You can wire up A14 and A15 from IC76 to support 27C512 in the ZIF socket very easily - solderlessly if you use clips.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

cmorley wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:13 pm Just a 3M TEXTOOL one (or chinese copy) is fine. I have a Watford Electronics one from BITD - google it you will see the PCB & the way they did it. Others were made too. I think it has some pull ups on the address bus and decoupling otherwise it is just a passive extender.

You can wire up A14 and A15 from IC76 to support 27C512 in the ZIF socket very easily - solderlessly if you use clips.
Thats good stuff, thank you for all the useful info :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

So I have been trying to get the dual Cumana drive that came with the Beeb working.

Cosmetically it is in really good order, and obviously came from a clean home as it was dust free internally, but there is a problem with the 2nd drive :(

Testing with the working drive, as you insert a floppy disk, the write protect sensor detects the incoming disk and spins the motor. When you insert a disk in the failed drive, it simply makes a very quiet buzz and the motor doesn't spin. Sometimes you can see it try ever so slightly though.

Having checked power and all the signals against the working drive, I know the write protect sensor is working, and the signal from the logic board is present at the motor board, and the motor is trying to run, so I suspect a problem on the motor board.

Main problem now is actually being able to remove the motor board, the spindle is really tightly attached and I need to get topside to see what the possible failed components are.

Although the voltages do measure OK though, I'm thinking perhaps I should try an external PSU just in case, you never know...

I need to find an image of the Cumana disk too, as whilst the good drive reads the disk, it seems to be empty, and I need the formatting utilities.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Which mechanism is in the drive enclosure? One of them with the thin latch (TEC maybe) is notorious for bad caps on the control board leaking. TEAC and Mitsubishi mechanisms are better.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”