OG Xbox on the bench - and just in time.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
atari030

Re: OG Xbox on the bench - and just in time.

Post by atari030 »

Yeah, mod chip the sucker, install an SSD, HDMI, SPDIF and XBMC. Great little machines. Pretty sure I have a 1.1, 1.2 and 1.6.
alexh

Post by alexh »

@rubber_jonnie if you've not already done it, consider replacing the M$ dashboard with XBMC? Definitely the way to go for the best OG experience.
atari030 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:12 am Great little machines.
I've not switched any of mine on for years. They were great for the time for NAS movie playback, movie streaming, Xbox OG games and Emulation.

But times move on.

An RPi 4 is a better go-to box movies, streaming and emulation (even running the same Kodi/XBMC front end).

M$ great backwards compatibility means most OG games play even the latest One-X. 2nd hand Xbox OG games are so cheap there's no need to pirate them.

So yes unfortunately my OG is now redundant.

The only thing I slightly miss is having all the OG games on HDD vs having to insert discs.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
atari030

Post by atari030 »

I have a One S, it barely gets used. I still prefer to play on the OG. I run Universal Media Server on my PC for streaming straight to the TV. Don't even need a Pi.

For the same reason I still have a Dreamcast, Megadrive II, Jag and 2600 in that room I don't use the One S much. I put a SPDIF on the Xbox and got a HDMI adapter so I get 1080 and Dolby Digital/DTS. Its pretty incredible how good it looks for a 20 year old machine. It doesn't cost much to do it either. Oh, and it boots faster than the One S. :lol:

I have yet to play a XB1 one game that grabbed me. Speaking of which, it must be time to revisit KOTOR.
alexh

Post by alexh »

atari030 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:01 pm I run Universal Media Server on my PC for streaming straight to the TV. Don't even need a Pi
My 2011 TV can access network drives but the interface sucks. I like the Kodi interface for things like IMDB ratings, cover art etc.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:12 am Yeah, mod chip the sucker, install an SSD, HDMI, SPDIF and XBMC. Great little machines. Pretty sure I have a 1.1, 1.2 and 1.6.
It already has an Xecuter mod installed :)

TBH though I don't really need to stream or do anything else other than be a games console these days, so I'm probably not going to be doing any more mods to it.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:16 am It already has an Xecuter mod installed :)

TBH though I don't really need to stream or do anything else other than be a games console these days, so I'm probably not going to be doing any more mods to it.
I have two of these. One 'normal' and the other with an Xecuter mod chip.

I remember the car boot I got it from. Had the XB with controllers/leads and a zip case full of CDR games. Just had to be chipped so I got it! :lol:

I should have some spare controllers somewhere you can have. It's been a while since I checked, but if you need them, let me know and I will have a look.

My favourite XB games: Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Burnout and Morrowind. ;)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:16 am It already has an Xecuter mod installed :)

I have two of these. One 'normal' and the other with an Xecuter mod chip.

I remember the car boot I got it from. Had the XB with controllers/leads and a zip case full of CDR games. Just had to be chipped so I got it! :lol:

I should have some spare controllers somewhere you can have. Its been a while since I checked, but if you need them, let me know and I will have a look.

My favourite XB games: Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Burnout and Morrowind. ;)
I'm ok for controllers, though I appreciate the offer thanks, I have 2 originals and a wireless controller.

The Wireless controller needs work though, it had the once popular soft touch coating, but over time it has gone horrible and sticky, so that's another upcoming project to remove the coating and make it usable again.

The controller is otherwise fine.

One thing about the Xecuter mod I did like was that CDRs loaded a ton faster than OG discs because of the way the data was arranged.

I am at present considering removing the mod and putting it back to stock, as I don't really need any of the features and I can play many of the games on my Xbox One.

I was a big fan of Burnout too, and Doom 3 and I also really liked Black.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 am I was a big fan of Burnout too, and Doom 3 and I also really liked Black.
Regarding Doom3, or FPS games on consoles in general really...I must confess, I'm much better at FPS games on the PC with kb/mouse.

I remember going into a Game store and trying out the demo XBoxes running Halo and thinking how the hell are you going to be able to play this sort of game well with these controllers?

I'm not too bad on a gamepad nowadays, but a kb/mouse option is always much easier for me. (I even bought a kb/mouse adapter for the XB to play Morrowind, but it didn't work very well).

Is it just me, or do others find this kb/mouse affinity is the case for them?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:08 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:46 am I was a big fan of Burnout too, and Doom 3 and I also really liked Black.
Regarding Doom3, or FPS games on consoles in general really...I must confess, Im much better at FPS games on the PC with kb/mouse.

I remember going into a Game store and trying out the demo XBoxes running Halo and thinking how the hell are you going to be able to play this sort of game well with these controllers?

Im not too bad on a gamepad nowadays, but a kb/mouse option is always much easier for me. (I even bought a kb/mouse adapter for the XB to play Morrowind, but it didnt work very well).

Is it just me, or do others find this kb/mouse affinity is the case for them?
It depends on the controller.

For example, I bought a keyboard and mouse for my Dreamcast because the controller wasn't up to snuff for stuff like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3: Arena.

For the likes of Xbox, I find the controller much better for FPS games, and from Halo onwards I had no problems.

However, I tried the Playstation controller and didn't get on with that at all.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:18 am However, I tried the Playstation controller and didn't get on with that at all.
Funnily enough, I tried playing Dead Island on the new PS3 and found the control abysmal.

To be fair, it's a 3rd party Dualshock2 clone, so maybe it's that (I've ordered a DS3 controller, as apparently, I need the new 'home' button to quit games or the PS3 complains about a bad shutdown! I don't know of any other way to do it, otherwise)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”