Sinclair QL - wanted one since 1984

Any 680x0 based information, repairs, images, upgrades and other cool stuff that is not Atari and Amiga based but based on the Motorola 68K range of processors
PhilC

Re: Sinclair QL - wanted one since 1984

Post by PhilC »

So I’ve had a bit of progress with the QL today.

I managed to get a Trump card for it. It cost more than the computer did but then I did pay peanuts for the QL.

And I had a package arrive yesterday courtesy of Mr @rubber_jonnie with some micro drives inside.

So putting it all together and all I got was green screen, which ended up being a ram fault on the Trump card. So I’ve got a whole load of ram borrowed from here there and everywhere, so I’ve changed the whole lot in the Trump card and then given it a good clean and:

3C52646E-0A3C-4EE0-92E8-CE4EABBD6930.jpeg
3C52646E-0A3C-4EE0-92E8-CE4EABBD6930.jpeg (505.83 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Great, now it’s time to test the card and the micro drives out. Would you believe it that the fluffing shift key don’t work!! So no testing for me as I need at least access to the _ key.

Best go order myself a keyboard membrane next then.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

For those of you interested, here’s what the Trump card looks like naked :lol:

image.jpg
image.jpg (838.29 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (941.86 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

My goodness, that floppy connector is a bit dirty!
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm My goodness, that floppy connector is a bit dirty!
You should have seen it beforehand. It’ll get a better clean when I start using it again.
Wrangler

Post by Wrangler »

Awesome stuff!

Now you can experience first hand how slow a "32 bit" computer can really be! :lol:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The ST is "Sixteen-Thirty-Two", the QL is an "Eight-Thirty-Two" :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Nice one sir, be good to see it running and see if the microdrives actually work :)

Next you need minerva :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:33 pm Nice one sir, be good to see it running and see if the microdrives actually work :)

Next you need minerva :)
I’ve got a rim adaptor board on order and more EPROMs than I know what to do with, so watch this space :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So a bit of an update today.

I fitted the new keyboard membrane and had to fit the keyboard membrane socket as a couple of pins were bent a little too much but the issue previously was that the ribbon was cracked in a few places on the membrane, so that's all good now.

I've cleaned and tried the microdrives. They would read initially but not reformat, so doing some googling I've got a few transistors and diodes to check with the scope and then we will see if that makes any difference. 2 Microdrives carts were killed in action unfortunately but I guess you live and learn. Best not kill the other 4 RJ sent me :oops:

I changed the 7805 for a MP-K7805-500R3 on the Trump card and will switch the two micro drive regulators too but the main 7805 needs a higher output, so will see what else is available to cool the whole thing down a bit. Its got to deliver 1.5 - 2 amps ideally.

Next up is to rig up a floppy drive and see if we can get the Trump card to format a few floppies, then at least I can start getting things from the PC over to the QL to test.

With the GBS-8220 Im able to view both monitor and TV mode on a VGA screen which is cool, so probably going to build a QL style case for the GBS at some point.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 pm So a bit of an update today.

I fitted the new keyboard membrane and had to fit the keyboard membrane socket as a couple of pins were bent a little too much but the issue previously was that the ribbon was cracked in a few places on the membrane, so that's all good now.

I've cleaned and tried the microdrives. They would read initially but not reformat, so doing some googling I've got a few transistors and diodes to check with the scope and then we will see if that makes any difference. 2 Microdrives carts were killed in action unfortunately but I guess you live and learn. Best not kill the other 4 RJ sent me :oops:

I changed the 7805 for a MP-K7805-500R3 on the Trump card and will switch the two micro drive regulators too but the main 7805 needs a higher output, so will see what else is available to cool the whole thing down a bit. Its got to deliver 1.5 - 2 amps ideally.

Next up is to rig up a floppy drive and see if we can get the Trump card to format a few floppies, then at least I can start getting things from the PC over to the QL to test.

With the GBS-8220 Im able to view both monitor and TV mode on a VGA screen which is cool, so probably going to build a QL style case for the GBS at some point.
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the QL :)

I also ended up buying Q-Emulator to help me with getting downloaded software onto floppy to use on the QL. Well worth it IMHO.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “OTHER 680x0”