exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Steve

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by Steve »

Or make the move to Linux! Windows 10 will install advertisements on your start menu ;S
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm Or make the more to Linux! Windows 10 will install advertisements on your start menu ;S
Only if you have the really cheap/rental version.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:23 pm
Steve wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm Or make the more to Linux! Windows 10 will install advertisements on your start menu ;S
Only if you have the really cheap/rental version.
It's a strange world we live in :S

But in all seriousness, you'll be thankful for moving to Linux in the end. The idea of going back to Windows after using Linux for 2+ years now is abhorrent. If you're new go for Ubuntu or Manjaro (I recommend Manjaro)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

My server runs Ubuntu. I am all for it. But unfortunately a lot of my software is Windows only and a lot of the stuff is rather expensive registered software as well. Starting over after 30 years isn't so simple. I struggled to get a lot of my software working on my new motherboard when I came from my dual core system years ago. I managed to get around that problem by installing a program which would fake the motherboard serial number, so it would match my old motherboard number. This way it fools software to thinking is still registered so I can use it still. But I doubt later versions of Windows are going to be happy with that sort of "hack".

I was thinking about similar things last night in fact. As my PC totally ape-sh*t for no reason. I think the graphics drivers somehow got corrupted as reinstalling them fixed the problem. My PC I built back in 2012. Currently running windows 7. I really don't want to change all my hardware and then have the hassle of Windows 10 or whatever version there on now. I probably would just switch to Ubuntu rather than Windows again. But my entire work setup would be starting from scratch I don't think I really would bother starting all over again. I mean I always use my floppy drive and my motherboard was pretty much the last board ever to actually have the floppy port installed :roll:

Starting out with a brand-new operating system where I will undoubtedly run into endless problems with no solutions as that is generally the case. Then all the hassle of finding alternative software which probably does not exist. But I would have to switch to like learning Kicad properly continue doing PCBs. Currently I just wanted to try out the new interface and such because they apparently changed it from version 5. So I thought rather than learning version 5 just to relearn everything for version 6, I would seriously just start to try version 6 from the get go. Easing into one program is a lot easier than starting from scratch with a whole new system. Plus ultimately if I decided I just don't get on with Kicad, then what ?

If I were just playing games on steem like a lot of people do, then upgrading PC and operating system is probably a regular occurrence and they are used to it. But it is a order of magnitude more complicated when you're 30-year-old workflow gets replaced for a totally new system. I have said it before, it is why I just cannot be bothered to "upgrade" from windows 7 to something else. But Ubuntu does not seem to be easily upgradable either. It's taken a great amount of time to get everything set up for the new server. But it is not just the operating system, it is all the changes in php, sql etc etc then patching and fixing stuff which all takes time. Frankly just sick and tired of going through all this BS all the time with stuff.

My only part solution is that I will probably install Ubuntu on my laptop then at least I can still get my emails and do my online banking and all that stuff. At some point the browsers will give you the middle finger as they did with XP a while back. So the issue gets forced upon me to do something about it all again :roll: So I would probably use my laptop with Ubuntu for online stuff, and try and keep my desktop PC as my workstation.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

exxos wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:03 pm My only part solution is that I will probably install Ubuntu on my laptop then at least I can still get my emails and do my online banking and all that stuff. At some point the browsers will give you the middle finger as they did with XP a while back. So the issue gets forced upon me to do something about it all again :roll: So I would probably use my laptop with Ubuntu for online stuff, and try and keep my desktop PC as my workstation.
That is a really good idea. You'll also be able to see what software you can run through Wine. It's fairly simple, you basically just run the installer and Wine installs it on your system in a virtual hard disk, but the program has full access to the Linux file system. This is how I can still use my TI866 programmer.

So yeah anyway, I think getting accustomed to it on your laptop is a great idea :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Floppy techno. Really starts to get going about 40seconds in. :lol:

New background melody for your next hit @Cosmic Puppet ? :lol:

Who needs fancy sound effects chips when you got a scope probe and fingers... Ohh that make a cool band name :lol: :D
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

:lol:

Finger probe. :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Been a hectic day :roll: Bathroom sink taps I fitted several months back broke :roll: Why is it absolutely everything is just garbage these days :cussing: Of course the local B&Q did not have the correct apps in stock in town. So had to go over to the next town to get the tax which did have them in stock. Only to find I had purchased BATH taps which have a different size thread on them :headbang: So had to go all the way back again and get the correct taps and fit them.

Meanwhile replacement back again for my laptop. So been busy swapping that out just.

IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG (366.5 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG (342.49 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG (312.22 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG (503.49 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Busy testing 4MB STFM RAM boards now :D

IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG (376.38 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

6 failed so far. 42 to go !

:dizzy:

IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG (350.92 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”