STE VIDEO GHOSTING FIX

The latest tweaks and fixes to keep your machine running in tip-top shape.
complicated

Re: STE VIDEO GHOSTING FIX

Post by complicated »

A little update on the STE video ghosting fix. Done some testing on both Mega STE and STE.

On Mega STE soldering a 10uf capacitor will not fix the ghosting issue. I use a chess game called Hamlet as guide cause it has the most ghosting i have ever seen in a software. With 10uf there was still a lot of ghosting, tried a 47uf and it got better but not good enough in my opinion. So i ended up in soldering a 150uf panasonic low esr capacitor (EEUFR1E151B) and now the picture is perfect when playing the Hamlet Chess game.

Also tested that game on my normal STE with the 47uf ghost fix i did a long time ago and i did see some faint ghosting there too. Will probably change that capacitor for a 150uf panasonic low esr (EEUFR1E151B) too when i get my Exxos HD floppy kit and open up the case.

Of course we can try out different values but from my experience a 150uf low esr capacitor will fix all ghosting issues, not just in TOS desktop but also in all software.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Thanks for letting us know. What PSU do you have in the STE ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mikro

Post by mikro »

complicated wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:01 pmOn Mega STE soldering a 10uf capacitor will not fix the ghosting issue.
Interesting. On my MegaSTE I haven't noticed any ghosting issue whatsoever. The only thing I did was to recap the PSU, did you do that? I even tried that Hamlet game, it looks totally OK both on SC1224 and LCD.
complicated

Post by complicated »

exxos wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:21 am Thanks for letting us know. What PSU do you have in the STE ?
I'm using your PSU in my STE, also did a full recap on the motherboard. Just to be sure i had another look, when starting up Hamlet there was a very small faint ghosting up in the right corner, you can only see it when looking from an angle. Most people would never even see it i guess.

mikro wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:27 am Interesting. On my MegaSTE I haven't noticed any ghosting issue whatsoever. The only thing I did was to recap the PSU, did you do that? I even tried that Hamlet game, it looks totally OK both on SC1224 and LCD.
I haven't recapped my Mega STE PSU but it doesn't matter cause i have exactly the same faint ghosting on my STE with Exxos PSU and a 47uf capacitor as i did on my Mega STE with a 47uf cap. If you start up the game Hamlet, look up in the right corner when it says SEARCH, look close from an angle and you will see some faint horizontal ghosting lines. This is just my observation and 47uf will probably be good for most people but in my opinion you need a higher value to remove every little ghosting. I do not have any "new" caps between 47 and 150 uf so i just tried with the 150 and it removed every ghosting i could see.
mikro

Post by mikro »

Hmm... tried that but nope, nothing. So either the recapped PSU really did help, or the fact that I'm using the HC CPU somehow helped or there are several MegaSTE revisions where the newer ones do not exhibit this problem. Thanks for sharing your experience, though!
complicated

Post by complicated »

mikro wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:09 pm Hmm... tried that but nope, nothing. So either the recapped PSU really did help, or the fact that I'm using the HC CPU somehow helped or there are several MegaSTE revisions where the newer ones do not exhibit this problem. Thanks for sharing your experience, though!
I also use a HC CPU in my Mega STE, its was not stable with the original 68000 cause it got too warm at 16mhz. Probably this ghosting issue could differ from machine to machine and perhaps your PSU recap helped out. I use an older revision motherboard in my MSTE where you have to remove a resistor on the back to use an FPU, also young need to solder a patchcable between the floppy and cpu chip to use HD floppy. This computer was a mess when i bought it, broken monitor connector, broken keyboard connector, broken keyboard fuse, DMA chip (the good one) did not work with my Gigafile so i had to do some Exxos fix to get it working, also i overpaid for that machine and spent countless hours and money repairing it.

Well i guess we could say that the ghosting issue are not the same on all machines. If you do not have any problems don't mess with it, if you have issues use a higher value than 47, 47uf seems to solve most of the problems and i would not have noticed it if i had not played that Hamlet game.

I would still suggest everyone trying/using this fix to use the Hamlet chess game as a starting point as it has a lot more ghosting than the TOS desktop.

Return to “TWEAKS & FIXES”