DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
Badwolf

Re: DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm Maybe but that died without even loading anything. I have tried EMUTOS a few times in the mix as well.. I will try EMUTOS on my current build just to rule that out.
OK, so stock firmware + external decoder isn't stable, but it was running fine when I hacked the very first version to do TOS206 decoding, right?

Next obvious test would be to remove flashy clock, boot into TOS1.04 and run EMUTOS.PRG, I suppose.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

OK, after having spoken with @exxos off-thread, I'm now of the understanding that, at the moment, the only yet identified problem with the stock firmware in the test configuration is that FrontBench craps out when the music comes in.

Configuration under test is H5 with TOS1.04 and EmuTOS.PRG loaded from disc.

The most obvious thing would be that the YM chip's DTACK is still asserted when FB starts its next AltRAM cycle.

To test this, since we know there's no problem with FB *without* AltRAM, we'll deny the switching, so Exxos I'll supply a stock build bar a 16MHz inhibit. If you could please test in the above configuration on Monday and feed back, I'd be grateful.

I'll check that firmware works for me over the weekend (if it doesn't, we may have opened the lid on a different issue).

Cheers,

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Using my firmware (as I need TOS206) SLOW = 1'b0;

IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG (41.06 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

Basically craps out the same as when trying "slave mode".
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:54 pm Using my firmware (as I need TOS206) SLOW = 1'b0;

Basically craps out the same as when trying "slave mode".
OK, that is something I was worried about and need to check this end, then. Ta.

But it's not the test config of 1.04 + EmuTOS.PRG, is it? :P

(I have lost trust in my AltRAM.PRG until I have time to fix the FRB mapping I consider it an unreliable way of testing ;) )

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:03 am But it's not the test config of 1.04 + EmuTOS.PRG, is it? :P
I knew you was going to say that.. FB and EMUTOS don't fit on the same floppy :chairsmack:

IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG (206.85 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

Reflashed with your firmware next & TOS104 & EMUTOS.PRG

IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG (225.88 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

Just the same. When alt-ram gets accessed it crashes.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Ok, grand, thanks.

That’s definitely something that has slipped through the checking process. It ought to have no dependency on processor speed.

Will take a look.

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Its like I was saying earlier . The more time the CPU spends in 8mhz the worse ram stability seems to be. Just switching to 16mhz on ram access is worse than switching to 16mhz with RAM,ROM,AS. On that basis if the CPU ran at 16mhz all the time then it would in theory work better still :shrug:

But I keep forgetting how you say sdram works. But with refresh cycles in the mix and a "slow" CPU at 8mhz, then would it try and latch data at the point sdram panics into doing a refresh cycle ? 16mhz CPU might be the tipping point there. On that basis if the CPU ran a fraction faster then it would likely be more stable. :shrug:

I'm starting to think it's getting more trouble than its worth with SDRAM. It was a bit fickle on the TF536 as well. :roll:
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:46 am But I keep forgetting how you say sdram works. But with refresh cycles in the mix and a "slow" CPU at 8mhz,
Shouldn't make any difference -- my controller should take care of all that. But...
I'm starting to think it's getting more trouble than its worth with SDRAM. It was a bit fickle on the TF536 as well. :roll:
Too right! 80% of all my dev time has been on bloody SDRAM. That said, the price... the volume... Gah!

Did start designing a latched version of DSTB1 to try and reduce the SDRAM PITA factor, but I couldn't quite make them fit on the board (as they're unidirectional so require two 16 bit chip + control lines). I went with what I know in the end. If I had unlimited space, I'd try that next.

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 12.15.50.png
Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 12.15.50.png (251.95 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

(there is actually one chip on the top side and one on the bottom for 'in' and 'out'!)

But anyway, back to the point in hand...

BW
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Right, @exxos. Not wishing to be 'that guy', but it works here, guv. :roll:

Stock firmware modded slightly for 206 decoding (I don't need it, but want to make sure it's in there) and proper LED flashery.

Tested, works.

OK, then hard-coded to 8MHz:

IMG_5348.jpeg
IMG_5348.jpeg (185.16 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
IMG_5349.jpeg
IMG_5349.jpeg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 1671 times

...and I've just checked and MiNT works too.

I was quite prepared to believe the H5 and STE worked differently with respect to the YM chip, but AltRAM working at 8MHz here and not there?! I wasn't expecting that.

Can you give this firmware a crack when you're back? If it doesn't work either, I'm going to have to have a proper head-scratch.

Ta,

BW
Attachments
altram_68k_8mhz_206decoding_220407.zip
(10.09 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 pm Right, @exxos. Not wishing to be 'that guy', but it works here, guv. :roll:

...and I've just checked and MiNT works too.
But you have problems still with mint at 16mhz ?

Maybe thing to do is just send you this board back for you to try. Could be that there is a bad solder joint or something on it causing the issues. The H5 works fine with PLCC or DIP 68K and the TF536. Kinda out of ideas now.

Return to “DSTB1 & DFB1 booster by BadWolf”