16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board?

About the ST 16MHz simple booster.
jakesdad77

16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board?

Post by jakesdad77 »

Hello Exxos.

Please could you tell me if your current 16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board? It is C070523-001 REV D. I have upgraded from TOS 1 to 1.04 but the 6 chips are not from your store. I am also not bothered about Dual TOS. TOS 1.4 is fine, but I would like to go to TOS 2.06 later if possible. I have already removed the CPU and soldered on one of your 64 pin sockets. All working again with an 8MHZ CPU. There does look to be some space around the CPU, even though it is up near the floppy drive as opposed to just under the spacebar.

From what I have read so far, there's a chance this will work and a chance it won't.

Also, are your colorful 6 chip TOS 1.4 ROMS different because they can run at 16MHz instead of 8MHz? Is that the only difference? Thanks in advance. James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board?

Post by exxos »

jakesdad77 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:58 pm Please could you tell me if your current 16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board? It is C070523-001 REV D.
I presume you mean this one ? https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0212

They will work in any board, but physical aspects are the main problem with most upgrades as there are like 20 different motherboard revisions.
I have upgraded from TOS 1 to 1.04 but the 6 chips are not from your store. I am also not bothered about Dual TOS. TOS 1.4 is fine, but I would like to go to TOS 2.06 later if possible.
6 CHIP TOS will only work at 16MHz if the chips are 120ns or faster.
I have already removed the CPU and soldered on one of your 64 pin sockets. All working again with an 8MHZ CPU. There does look to be some space around the CPU, even though it is up near the floppy drive as opposed to just under the spacebar.
:thumbup:
From what I have read so far, there's a chance this will work and a chance it won't.
There really isn't any reason why it wouldn't work but of course you should do the mandatory fixes for the STFM machines. It may work to some degree without doing fixes but every machine behaves differently. The ST bus is barley stable at 8MHz on some boards, so pushing to 16MHz needs the fixes doing for it to be reliable.
Also, are your colorful 6 chip TOS 1.4 ROMS different because they can run at 16MHz instead of 8MHz? Is that the only difference? Thanks in advance.
All my 6 chip TOS are 100ns. So they will always work with the 16MHz boosters.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
jakesdad77

Re: 16MHz booster will work in an older STFM board?

Post by jakesdad77 »

Thank you Mr Exxos.

I think that answers everything for this particular project for now. Will place an order for the gear soon. Thx James

Return to “ST 16MHz BOOSTER 2021”